Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica
The Belleville Senators finished its eight-game road trip with a 5-2 win in Utica Friday night.
Logan Brown, Michael Carcone, Jordan Murray, Parker Kelly and Morgan Klimchuk scored for Belleville while Filip Gustavsson made 26 saves. Utica's Zane McIntyre stopped 21 shots as Justin Bailey and John Stevens had goals.
Knotted at 2-2 heading into the third, Murray gave Belleville a 3-2 edge with 12:53 to play on a wired wrister from the slot that beat McIntyre short-side for his fourth goal of the season.
The lead was pushed to two by Kelly's seventh as he scored from a tight angle at 8:58 as McIntyre left a lot of space between his right post as Belleville's lead grew to 4-2.
Klimchuk made it 5-2 at 13:31 as he cut inside from the right wing and beat McIntyre low short-handed after outstanding forecheck work by Rudolfs Balcers to keep the puck in the Utica zone.
It took just 3:19 for Belleville to take the lead and it came on a power play marker from Brown. Sens defenceman Erik Brannstrom laid the puck into the slot for Brown who ripped home his fifth of the year to give the Senators an early lead.
Bailey tied the game with his 23rd of the season at 9:26 as he slid the puck five-hole on Gustavsson in-tight before Stevens scored short-handed at 16:28 as he buried his own rebound for a 2-1 Comets lead.
The Sens tied the game at 4:13 of the second on Carcone's 10th of the season as he stepped out of the penalty box and had all day to pick his spot past McIntyre for what was also his 50th career AHL goal to make it 2-2 through 40 minutes.
The Senators finishes its eight-game road trip by collecting 13 of a possible 16 points, losing just once in regulation in an impressive run of form by Troy Mann's squad.
Belleville finally returns home tomorrow night as they host Utica on Bell Let's Talk night. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2020
- Condors Upend League Leading Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Erupt in Third Period to Defeat Rampage, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Kahkonen Blanks Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Ford's Overtime Goal Extends Griffins' Point Streak to Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks - Laval Rocket
- Oglevie Scores Twice in 5-2 Win over Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Cruise by Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Come Back to Edge Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Gulls Gain Point on OT Road Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Tarnish Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win - Binghamton Devils
- St. Denis scores lone goal; Gibson returns from injury - Bridgeport Islanders
- Beleskey, Shesterkin Key in Wolf Pack Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- O'Reilly Notches Milestone 600th Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Upend Marlies 5-2 in Front of 12,255 Fans - Cleveland Monsters
- Cassels, Warsofsky Erupt in Penguins' 5-4 Win at Charlotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2nd Period Struggle Does in T-Birds against Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night - Hershey Bears
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Back to Back in Cleveland Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Twenty Visually Impaired Persons to "Try Blind Hockey" on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 39 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kelly, Labate, Bringing Different Dimension to Sens Lineup - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Unveil Player Designer Hat Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Zach Fucale from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60 - Hershey Bears
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Andrew Shortridge from the Allen Americans - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Heat Host Reign in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Islanders
- Sam Anas Added to 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 24, 2020 vs. Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Anas Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 24 - Belleville Senators
- Abt, Kim and Brown Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Senators Prospects Looking to Make a Mark at Rookie Camp
- Senators Sign Three to AHL/ECHL Deals
- Senators Sign Three Players to One-Year American Hockey League Contracts
- Senators Extend Troy Mann as Head Coach of AHL's Belleville Senators
- Craig Belfer, AHL Athletic Trainers Selected as Winners of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award