Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home
Friday night's contest was the first for the team at Tucson Arena at 20 days following a five-game road trip.
For the first time in five games the Roadrunners allowed the first goal of the contest, however, a second chance effort in front of the net by captain Michael Chaput evened the game before the end of the first period.
Chaput won an offensive zone draw faceoff back to Jordan Gross, who shot the puck on net with the rebound going right to 26.
Two second period goals would spring Bakersfield back ahead once again, however, on the power play, AHL All-Star Brayden Burke setup AHL All-Star Kyle Capobianco to bring Tucson back within one.
Beau Bennett won the attacking end faceoff to begin the play, earning an assist on the tally.
A tight, physical final period resulted in no scoring, thus allowing Bakersfield to take the weekend opening affair.
Goaltender Ivan Prosvetov suffered just his fourth loss in 16 games this season, allowing three goals on 18 shots.
"We weren't good enough for the full 60 minutes. We let moments in the second period slip away, moments where we didn't play good hockey and they took advantage of it. There were some key moments where we have to capitalize and we have to find a way to generate a little bit more offense now." - Roadrunners Head Coach Jay Varady sharing his recap of the game and what didn't go right for his team tonight.
"We had some time on the power play where we could generate more, we had a situation where we pulled the goalie, six-on-four and we've got to get more pucks to the net. We had a five-on-three for almost a full two minutes and we didn't enough pucks to the net. Those are key times." - Varady diving deeper into the situations in which he had hoped his team had a different result.
NEXT HOME GAME:
Bakersfield Condors at Tucson Roadrunners - Saturday, January 25 at 7 p.m. MST (Tucson Arena)
University of Arizona Night! A special ticket package featuring a co-branded UArizona/Roadrunners hat is on sale now.
Another T-Mobile Kachina Saturday - the team will wear their alternate black uniforms.
NEXT ROAD GAME:
Roadrunners at Bakersfield Condors - Wednesday, February 5 at 7:30 p.m. MST (Mechanics Bank Arena)
FINAL SCORE: Bakersfield Condors (3) @ Tucson Roadrunners (2)
First Second Third Final
Bakersfield 1 2 0 3
Tucson 1 1 0 2
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2020
- Condors Upend League Leading Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Erupt in Third Period to Defeat Rampage, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Kahkonen Blanks Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Ford's Overtime Goal Extends Griffins' Point Streak to Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks - Laval Rocket
- Oglevie Scores Twice in 5-2 Win over Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Cruise by Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Come Back to Edge Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Gulls Gain Point on OT Road Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Tarnish Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win - Binghamton Devils
- St. Denis scores lone goal; Gibson returns from injury - Bridgeport Islanders
- Beleskey, Shesterkin Key in Wolf Pack Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- O'Reilly Notches Milestone 600th Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Upend Marlies 5-2 in Front of 12,255 Fans - Cleveland Monsters
- Cassels, Warsofsky Erupt in Penguins' 5-4 Win at Charlotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2nd Period Struggle Does in T-Birds against Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night - Hershey Bears
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Back to Back in Cleveland Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Twenty Visually Impaired Persons to "Try Blind Hockey" on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 39 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kelly, Labate, Bringing Different Dimension to Sens Lineup - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Unveil Player Designer Hat Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Zach Fucale from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60 - Hershey Bears
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Andrew Shortridge from the Allen Americans - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Heat Host Reign in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Islanders
- Sam Anas Added to 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 24, 2020 vs. Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Anas Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 24 - Belleville Senators
- Abt, Kim and Brown Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.