Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night
(Springfield, MA) - Matt Moulson scored twice in his 1,000th professional game, and the Hershey Bears scored four unanswered goals to down the Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2, on Friday night at the MassMutual Center.
Similar to Wednesday night, the Bears fell behind early to Springfield, but saw a quick response in the 1st period. Only 2:03 in, Aleksi Heponiemi scored his first American Hockey League goal after beating Bears goaltender Pheonix Copley. Hershey drew even at 11:22 on a 2-on-1 rush to even the score. Tyler Lewington connected with Shane Gersich on a homerun stretch pass, and Gersich ripped a shot five-hole past T-Birds goaltender Samuel Montembeault. Before the period expired, Springfield regained the advantage. On a rush up ice, Ethan Prow scored his fifth goal of the season at 16:37 to put his club in front at first intermission. Shots after 20 minutes were 11-5 Hershey.
Next frame, the Chocolate and White responded with three unanswered goals, all coming courtesy of special teams. Hershey earned their first power play chance of the night after Dryden Hunt was whistled for cross-checking at 3:45. On the man-advantage, Garrett Pilon buried a pass from Philippe Maillet beneath the goal line and into the cage to knot the score at 2-2.
The Bears went on the penalty kill from a Tyler Lewington tripping minor at 7:54, and Hershey soon converted shorthanded. Brian Pinho stripped Prow of the puck at the blue line, and raced up ice all alone on a breakaway. Pinho beat Montembeault along the glove side at 8:13 for his 13th goal of the season, providing Hershey their first lead of the night.
Hershey received an extended power play chance on a Ryan Haggerty five-minute boarding major penalty. On the major power play, Matt Moulson scored in his 1,000th professional game at the net front at 14:01. Shots after 40 minutes were 29-18 with the Chocolate and White leading 4-2.
Protecting a two-goal lead in the 3rd period, Moulson appropriately iced the game with an empty net, unassisted tally at 17:50 to complete a 5-2 final. Shots on goal concluded 40-27 Hershey, marking a new single-game season-high for the Chocolate and White in 2019-20. Special teams finished 2-for-4 on the power play and a perfect 5-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Hershey Bears conclude their weekend with one final game before the 2020 AHL All-Star Break tomorrow night in Providence. The Bears and Bruins will square off for the fifth of six meetings tomorrow night from the Dunkin' Donuts Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 PM. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the radio call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2020
- Condors Upend League Leading Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Erupt in Third Period to Defeat Rampage, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Kahkonen Blanks Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Ford's Overtime Goal Extends Griffins' Point Streak to Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks - Laval Rocket
- Oglevie Scores Twice in 5-2 Win over Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Cruise by Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Come Back to Edge Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Gulls Gain Point on OT Road Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Tarnish Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win - Binghamton Devils
- St. Denis scores lone goal; Gibson returns from injury - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Beleskey, Shesterkin Key in Wolf Pack Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- O'Reilly Notches Milestone 600th Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Upend Marlies 5-2 in Front of 12,255 Fans - Cleveland Monsters
- Cassels, Warsofsky Erupt in Penguins' 5-4 Win at Charlotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2nd Period Struggle Does in T-Birds against Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night - Hershey Bears
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Back to Back in Cleveland Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Twenty Visually Impaired Persons to "Try Blind Hockey" on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 39 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kelly, Labate, Bringing Different Dimension to Sens Lineup - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Unveil Player Designer Hat Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Zach Fucale from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60 - Hershey Bears
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Andrew Shortridge from the Allen Americans - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Heat Host Reign in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sam Anas Added to 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 24, 2020 vs. Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Anas Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 24 - Belleville Senators
- Abt, Kim and Brown Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bruce Boudreau Brings USPHL Junior Hockey Team to Hershey
- Hershey Bears to Host GIANT Drive-Thru Teddy Bear Toss Saturday, January 23
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season
- Bears Promote Riedel to Head Athletic Trainer
- Bears Assign Six to South Carolina Stingrays