Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch fell to the Binghamton Devils, 4-3, after a seven-round shootout tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena.
The Crunch built a two-goal lead after early goals from Cal Foote and Taylor Raddysh, but the Devils rallied for three unanswered markers to take the lead by the third period. Alex Barre-Boulet forced overtime late in the third, but the Crunch were unable to secure the second point. The team is now 20-18-3-3 on the season and 4-1-0-3 in the 10-game season series against the Devils.
Crunch goaltender Spencer Martin stopped 31-of-34 shots and 6-of-7 shootout attempts in net for the Crunch. Cory Schneider turned aside 35-of-38 shots and stopped all seven shootout attempts between the pipes for the Devils. Syracuse went 0-for-5 on the power play and 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Crunch jumped out to a quick lead scoring on the first shot of the game just 49 seconds in. Foote grabbed a loose puck and fired a wrister from the right point through traffic. Cory Conacher and Dominik Masin tallied the assists. Syracuse doubled their lead with the second shot of the game at 2:48. Masin backhanded a pass for Raddysh to pick up and score from the bottom of the right circle. Alex Volkov earned the secondary helper.
The Devils scored two late in the middle stanza to even the score. At 14:27, Martin made the initial save on Michael McLeod's shot as he came in on a rush with Nate Schnarr, but Nathan Bastian followed behind the play to chip in the rebound. Schnarr then tipped in Dakota Mermis's point shot with 59 seconds remaining in the period.
Binghamton stole the lead with a power-play goal halfway through the final frame. Nick Merkley sent a cross-zone feed for Brett Seney on the backdoor. His shot ricocheted off Joey Anderson's skate and in.
With 1:39 remaining in the game, Alex Barre-Boulet sent home a wrister from the left circle to force overtime. The assists went to Mathieu Joseph and Cameron Gaunce.
After a scoreless extra frame, the game ended when Egor Sharangovich potted the game-winner in the seventh round of the shootout.
The Crunch host the Rochester Americans tomorrow at 7 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Cory Conacher is tied for fourth in Syracuse Crunch franchise history with 204 points (72g, 132a)...Taylor Raddysh has goals in back-to-back games...The Crunch are 0-5-2-2 when tied after two periods.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2020
- Condors Upend League Leading Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Erupt in Third Period to Defeat Rampage, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Kahkonen Blanks Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Ford's Overtime Goal Extends Griffins' Point Streak to Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks - Laval Rocket
- Oglevie Scores Twice in 5-2 Win over Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Cruise by Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Come Back to Edge Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Gulls Gain Point on OT Road Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Tarnish Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win - Binghamton Devils
- St. Denis scores lone goal; Gibson returns from injury - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Beleskey, Shesterkin Key in Wolf Pack Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- O'Reilly Notches Milestone 600th Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Upend Marlies 5-2 in Front of 12,255 Fans - Cleveland Monsters
- Cassels, Warsofsky Erupt in Penguins' 5-4 Win at Charlotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2nd Period Struggle Does in T-Birds against Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night - Hershey Bears
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Back to Back in Cleveland Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Twenty Visually Impaired Persons to "Try Blind Hockey" on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 39 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kelly, Labate, Bringing Different Dimension to Sens Lineup - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Unveil Player Designer Hat Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Zach Fucale from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60 - Hershey Bears
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Andrew Shortridge from the Allen Americans - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Heat Host Reign in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sam Anas Added to 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 24, 2020 vs. Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Anas Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 24 - Belleville Senators
- Abt, Kim and Brown Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Ross Colton to One-Year Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Ben Thomas
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Andreas Borgman, Goaltender Chris Gibson
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Goaltender Spencer Martin
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forwards Mitchell Stephens, Gemel Smith