K-Wings Weekly: Week of January 20
Kalamazoo travels to Tulsa for two games this weekend against the Oilers at BOK Center.
OVERALL RECORD: 13-20-4
LAST WEEK: 1-2-0
Wednesday, Jan. 15 - Florida 6, Kalamazoo 3 (Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo, MI)
>> The Kalamazoo Wings returned home for the first time in 2020 and fell behind 3-0 in the first period to the Florida Everblades. Two power play goals from Justin Kovacs and newcomer Austin Farley in the first 5:06 of the middle frame brought the K-Wings back to within one, but the Everblades added their fourth goal to go up 4-2 after two. Kovacs added his second goal of the game with eight minutes left in regulation to make it 4-3, but Florida tallied an insurance goal 1:18 later and added an empty net marker in the final minute to complete a 6-3 win.
Friday, Jan. 17 - Kalamazoo 5, Wheeling 4 (Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo, MI)
>> An early strike from Luke Sandler started a back-and-forth thriller between Kalamazoo and Wheeling Friday at Wings Event Center. After the Nailers tied it, Ian Edmondson scored to put the K-Wings back in front. Another Wheeling goal evened the score at 2-2 after one. Justin Kovacs continued his big week with another goal to put Kalamazoo back in the lead for the third time, but Wheeling scored a power play goal late in the second period to tie it at 3-3. Eric Kattelus put the K-Wings in front for good when he beat the buzzer with 6.6 seconds left in the stanza. Then Matheson Iacopelli buried a breakaway goal 27 seconds into the third for the eventual game-winner in a 5-4 finish.
Saturday, Jan. 18 - Florida 4, Kalamazoo 1 (Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo, MI)
>> It took a few minutes longer than Wednesday's game, but the Florida Everblades opened up another 3-0 first period lead of the K-Wings Saturday in the rematch. Justin Taylor brought Kalamazoo back to within two when he scored on a rebound midway through the second period, as the K-Wings trailed 3-1 entering the final frame. Florida, though, snuffed out Kalamazoo's hopes with a power play goal, confirmed by video review, early in the third period and held the K-Wings to just 21 shots.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Friday, Jan. 24 - Kalamazoo AT Tulsa, 8:05 p.m. ET - BOK Center (Tulsa, OK)
Saturday, Jan. 25 - Kalamazoo AT Tulsa, 8:05 p.m. ET - BOK Center (Tulsa, OK)
ON THE MOVE
1/15 - Forward Austin Farley signed to standard player contract.
- Justin Kovacs had 5 points (3 goals, 2 assists) in 3 games last week.
- Austin Farley scored a goal and added an assist in his K-Wings debut Wednesday.
- Ian Edmondson recorded his first multi-point game of the season Friday.
- After Friday's win, Kalamazoo is now 5-1-0 against Wheeling this season.
- The K-Wings scored 34 seconds apart (19:53 of the second period, 0:27 of the third) Friday.
- Kalamazoo now embarks on a season-long six-game road trip after the all-star break.
POINTS: 34 - Dylan Sadowy
GOALS: 17 - Sadowy
ASSISTS: 22 - Kyle Blaney
PLUS/MINUS: +2 - Ian Edmondson, Tyler Ganly
PIMS: 81 - Luke Sandler
PP GOALS: 6 - Sadowy, Justin Taylor
SH GOALS: 1 - Brennan Sanford, Tanner Sorenson, Aaron Thow
GW GOALS: 3 - Taylor, Matheson Iacopelli
SHOTS: 129 - Iacopelli
WINS: 8 - Jake Hildebrand
GAA: 3.85 - Hildebrand
SAVE %: .880 - Hildebrand
POWER PLAY: Overall - 29/146 (19.9%) - 7th in ECHL
Last Week - 2/10 (20.0%)
PENALTY KILL: Overall - 119/157 (75.8%) - 25th in ECHL
Last Week - 6/8 (75.0%)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 20, 2020
- Grizz Win 2-1 in Shootout - Utah Grizzlies
- Zach Osburn Selected as ECHL All-Star - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Pick up Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel Acquire Foget from Greenville - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 20 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Skid Continues in Allen with 8-0 Loss - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Foget Dealt to Indy for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nault Ends Wild Game in OT as Rabbits Top Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Grab 5 of 6 Points Heading into All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Marchin Earns Hat Trick in Narrow Loss to Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Stand(er) Their Ground in 3-2 Overtime Win in Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Rosters Changes Announced Ahead of 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Game, Presented by Toyota - Wichita Thunder
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 20 - Tulsa Oilers
- Brady Norrish Added to ECHL All-Star Classic Hardest Shot Competition - Idaho Steelheads
- Wolf Pack Recall Jeff Taylor from Maine - Maine Mariners
- Roster Changes Announced for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Admirals Acquire Taylor Ross and Brycen Martin from Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- MeiGray to Auction Jerseys from 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Classic, Presented by Toyota - Wichita Thunder
- Thunder Weekly, January 20 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 15 (January 13 - January 19, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: Dinged up Mavs Enter Crucial Stretch - Kansas City Mavericks
- AHL's Charlotte Checkers Recall Sheppard from Loan to 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Former K-Wing Matiss Kivlenieks Makes NHL Debut - Kalamazoo Wings
- Desharnais Returns to Wichita from Bako - Wichita Thunder
- Week 15 Yields Three Points for Komets; Seven-Game Road Tour Starts Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Molino Returns at Utah Hosts Idaho on Monday Afternoon - Utah Grizzlies
- MeiGray to Auction Jerseys, Pucks from 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of January 20 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Americans Host KC - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Grind out Win against First-Place Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.