AHL's Charlotte Checkers Recall Sheppard from Loan to 'Blades
ESTERO, Fla. - The American Hockey League's Charlotte Checkers recalled on Monday defenseman Derek Sheppard from his loan to the Florida Everblades.
A second-year pro, Sheppard posted three assists in three games with Florida, including a two-assist night in a 4-2 win over the Indy Fuel on Thursday. He has suited up in 11 games for Charlotte this season.
Last season, Sheppard set the Everblades franchise record for points by a rookie defenseman with 40 points (14g, 26a). He also led the team's defensemen in points and finished tied for the team lead among defensemen in goals. Sheppard registered nine multi-point games and shared the team lead with six power-play goals while playing in 57 games. At the end of the season, Sheppard was named to the 2018-19 ECHL All-Rookie and All-ECHL Second Teams.
Sheppard made his pro debut with the Everblades in the 2017-18 season and collected seven points (4g, 3a) in 10 regular season games. The 6-foot, 215-pound blueliner then played in 17 games in the 2018 Kelly Cup Playoffs and tabbed one assist and 45 penalty minutes.
Before turning pro, Sheppard played four seasons at York University in Toronto, Ontario, from 2014-18. He excelled offensively in his college career and notched 100 points (33g, 67a) in 111 career games.
Following the All-Star break this week, Florida returns to action on Friday when it hosts the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Images from this story
Florida Everblades defenseman Derek Sheppard
(Kevin Bires Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 20, 2020
- Grizz Win 2-1 in Shootout - Utah Grizzlies
- Zach Osburn Selected as ECHL All-Star - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Pick up Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel Acquire Foget from Greenville - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 20 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Skid Continues in Allen with 8-0 Loss - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Foget Dealt to Indy for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nault Ends Wild Game in OT as Rabbits Top Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Grab 5 of 6 Points Heading into All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Marchin Earns Hat Trick in Narrow Loss to Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Stand(er) Their Ground in 3-2 Overtime Win in Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Rosters Changes Announced Ahead of 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Game, Presented by Toyota - Wichita Thunder
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 20 - Tulsa Oilers
- Brady Norrish Added to ECHL All-Star Classic Hardest Shot Competition - Idaho Steelheads
- Wolf Pack Recall Jeff Taylor from Maine - Maine Mariners
- Roster Changes Announced for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Admirals Acquire Taylor Ross and Brycen Martin from Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- MeiGray to Auction Jerseys from 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Classic, Presented by Toyota - Wichita Thunder
- Thunder Weekly, January 20 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 15 (January 13 - January 19, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: Dinged up Mavs Enter Crucial Stretch - Kansas City Mavericks
- AHL's Charlotte Checkers Recall Sheppard from Loan to 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Former K-Wing Matiss Kivlenieks Makes NHL Debut - Kalamazoo Wings
- Desharnais Returns to Wichita from Bako - Wichita Thunder
- Week 15 Yields Three Points for Komets; Seven-Game Road Tour Starts Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Molino Returns at Utah Hosts Idaho on Monday Afternoon - Utah Grizzlies
- MeiGray to Auction Jerseys, Pucks from 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of January 20 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Americans Host KC - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Grind out Win against First-Place Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Three 'Blades Forwards Called up to AHL
- Clutch Koper: 'Blades Strike in Final Minute to Earn 5-4 Win
- Admirals Skate to 5-1 Win over Everblades
- Everblades Loan Forward Cam Maclise to AHL's Chicago Wolves
- Preview: 'Blades Battle Admirals to Close Five-Game Homestand