Former K-Wing Matiss Kivlenieks Makes NHL Debut
NEW YORK, NY - Former Kalamazoo Wings goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks became the 16th player in the team's ECHL history to play a game in the National Hockey League, when he started for the Columbus Blue Jackets and made 31 saves in a 2-1 win over the New York Rangers Sunday at Madison Square Garden.
Kivlenieks, 23, also became the 673rd player in ECHL history to appear in a NHL game, and the eleventh during the 2019-20 season. The Riga, Latvia native went 5-3-0 with a 2.71 goals-against average and .923 save percentage in eight appearances for Kalamazoo during the 2018-19 season.
The 6-foot-2, 178-pound goaltender has also played in 73 American Hockey League games with the Cleveland Monsters since 2017-18. Kivlenieks has a career record of 25-32-7 with a 3.26 goals-against average and .889 save percentage in the AHL.
Two former Kalamazoo Wings made NHL opening day rosters in 2019-20, including Stanley Cup Champion goaltender Jordan Binnington of the St. Louis Blues and Yanni Gourde of the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Kalamazoo Wings 3-Packs are now available online! Reserve your tickets for the three biggest games in the best seats with the best eats. Visit kwings.com for more information about all the perks that come with a K-Wings 3-Pack!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 20, 2020
- Grizz Win 2-1 in Shootout - Utah Grizzlies
- Zach Osburn Selected as ECHL All-Star - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Pick up Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel Acquire Foget from Greenville - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 20 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Skid Continues in Allen with 8-0 Loss - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Foget Dealt to Indy for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nault Ends Wild Game in OT as Rabbits Top Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Grab 5 of 6 Points Heading into All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Marchin Earns Hat Trick in Narrow Loss to Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Stand(er) Their Ground in 3-2 Overtime Win in Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Rosters Changes Announced Ahead of 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Game, Presented by Toyota - Wichita Thunder
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 20 - Tulsa Oilers
- Brady Norrish Added to ECHL All-Star Classic Hardest Shot Competition - Idaho Steelheads
- Wolf Pack Recall Jeff Taylor from Maine - Maine Mariners
- Roster Changes Announced for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Admirals Acquire Taylor Ross and Brycen Martin from Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- MeiGray to Auction Jerseys from 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Classic, Presented by Toyota - Wichita Thunder
- Thunder Weekly, January 20 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 15 (January 13 - January 19, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: Dinged up Mavs Enter Crucial Stretch - Kansas City Mavericks
- AHL's Charlotte Checkers Recall Sheppard from Loan to 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Former K-Wing Matiss Kivlenieks Makes NHL Debut - Kalamazoo Wings
- Desharnais Returns to Wichita from Bako - Wichita Thunder
- Week 15 Yields Three Points for Komets; Seven-Game Road Tour Starts Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Molino Returns at Utah Hosts Idaho on Monday Afternoon - Utah Grizzlies
- MeiGray to Auction Jerseys, Pucks from 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of January 20 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Americans Host KC - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Grind out Win against First-Place Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Sorenson Leads Comeback, But Banged up Wings Fall in Fort Wayne
- Buzzer-Beating Game-Tying Goal Overturned, K-Wings Lose
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of February 17
- Sandler Nets Hat Trick, But Second Period Dooms Wings
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime