Iowa Charges to Force OT vs. Kansas City
Coralville, IA - The Iowa Heartlanders overcame a 3-0 deficit with three straight goals in the second period, then scored once more in the third to tie, but Kansas City's Loren Ulett scored on overtime's first shot at 26 seconds of the extra session to savor a 5-4 win for the Mavericks Friday at Xtream Arena. Jake Smith scored twice for the Landers in the second period and finished with a team-best three points.
Iowa scored three times in 2:59 to tie the contest. Jake Smith factored in on all three goals, scoring twice. With 4:16 to go in the second, Smith received a pass from Joe Widmar and rifled a wrister over Chechelev's shoulder to make it 3-1 on the power play. Next, Smith swung a puck to net front that Jack Billings tossed in for his 10th of the season, making it 3-2 a minute later. To complete the goal run for the Heartlanders, Smith slapped home a power-play marker, his seventh of the season, and Iowa tied the score with 1:17 to go in the second.
Ben Johnson scored for Kansas City to give the Mavs the lead back early in the final frame, but Iowa hunted and eventually scored again. To start the play, Fedor Gordeev kept the line at the left point, skated to the slot and stashed it over the Oliver. Taking a step towards the puck, Oliver shot and it fooled Daniil Chechelev at 8:37 of the third.
Chechelev denied 45 shots in victory. Trevin Kozlowski made 23 denials in his first start back from the AHL's Iowa Wild.
The Heartlanders start a five-game road trip at Indy Sat., Jan. 15 at 6:00 p.m. Iowa and Indy rematch on Sun., Jan. 16 at 2:00 p.m. The road trip continues with a contest at Toledo Fri., Jan. 21 at 6:15 p.m., and games at Wheeling Sat., Jan. 22 at 6:15 p.m. and Sun., Jan. 23 at 3:10 p.m.
Upcoming Home Games
Wednesday, January 26th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Indy - College Night
Friday, January 28th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo - Boy Scouts Night
Saturday, January 29th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo - Marvel © theme night
Season ticket memberships, group tickets, mini-plans, flex vouchers and single-game tickets are available for the Heartlanders inaugural season by calling 319-569-GOAL and visiting iowaheartlanders.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 14, 2022
- Iowa Charges to Force OT vs. Kansas City - Iowa Heartlanders
- Explosive First Period Hands Indy Fourth Straight Win - Indy Fuel
- Rush Strike Late, Beat Thunder, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Fall to Tulsa in OT - Allen Americans
- Admirals Fall to South Carolina in Friday Night Tilt - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Top Americans in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Complete Comeback Behind Cherniwchan's Hat Trick - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Down Rabbits 3-1 in Weekend Opener - Florida Everblades
- Hoelscher Plays Hero in Overtime for Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Roar Too Loud as the Railers Lose 6-3 - Worcester Railers HC
- Milosek Stops 40 for Toledo, But Kalamazoo Emerges Victorious, 4-2 - Toledo Walleye
- Ebbing Scores Twice as Royals Move into First Place - Reading Royals
- Big Third Period Springs Solar Bears - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 14 - ECHL
- Buitenhuis Heads Back to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Florida Panthers Sign Evan Fitzpatrick to NHL Deal, Goaltender Assigned to Taxi Squad - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Look to Stay Hot against Last-Place Railers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Gameday: Homestand Opener vs Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Admirals Announce Make-Up Dates for Two Postponed Home Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Frank Hora Signs AHL Deal with Syracuse Crunch - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers: January 14, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Chomping at the Bit for Greenville Trip - Florida Everblades
- Wichita, Rapid City Round Two Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- With Mariners on Break, Ten Players Earn AHL Call Ups - Maine Mariners
- Nate Clurman Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Tulsa, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Assigned High-Scoring Gentile - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Return Home to Face Icemen - Atlanta Gladiators
- Former Royals Goaltender Pat Nagle Selected for U.S. Olympic Team - Reading Royals
- Williams Loaned to Rochester; Fortunato Returns & Icemen Add Two Players - Jacksonville Icemen
- Thunder Silenced by Rush, 4-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Heartlanders Stories
- Golka Scores Twice and Landers Win 3rd Straight
- Kaczperski Signs Tryout Contract with AHL's Syracuse Crunch
- Kaczperski's Brilliance Stymies Wheeling, 2-1
- Widmar Scores with 2:37 Left to Sink Wheeling, 4-2
- Heartlanders Close in Opening Game of Weekend at Toledo, 4-3