Hoelscher Plays Hero in Overtime for Glads
DULUTH, Ga. - The Atlanta Gladiators (17-14-2-1) defeated the Jacksonville Icemen (20-9-2-1) in overtime by a score of 2-1 at Gas South Arena on the Ortho Sport & Spine Physicians Home Ice on Friday Night. Rookie Mitchell Hoelscher scored the game-winning goal for Atlanta while goaltender Tyler Parks kept the Glads in the game with 42 saves.
First Star: Mitchell Hoelscher- game-winning goal
Second Star: Gabe Guertler- goal
Third Star: Tyler Parks- 42 saves
Jacksonville opened up the scoring for the night late in the first period after Jacob Panetta fired a one-timer into the net on a power-play opportunity to take a 1-0 lead (13:39).
The Glads outshot the Icemen 17-14 in the first period.
After a scoreless second frame, Atlanta capitalized on a power play midway through the third period to level the game at 1-1. The goal came after Cody Sylvester maneuvered around the back of the Jacksonville net and found Gabe Guertler in the low-slot who slotted it away for his ninth goal of the season (10:47).
Atlanta sealed the 2-1 victory in overtime after Mitchell Hoelscher skated down the left wing, wrapped the puck around the net, and fired a wrister into the top left corner for the game-winning goal. The tally served as Hoelscher's second marker of the season in his second game with the Glads.
Goaltender Tyler Parks finished the night with a whopping 42 saves on 43 shots for Atlanta.
The Gladiators take the ice again Sunday afternoon against the Norfolk Admirals (12-17-1-1) at 3:00 PM at Gas South Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 14, 2022
- Iowa Charges to Force OT vs. Kansas City - Iowa Heartlanders
- Explosive First Period Hands Indy Fourth Straight Win - Indy Fuel
- Rush Strike Late, Beat Thunder, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Fall to Tulsa in OT - Allen Americans
- Admirals Fall to South Carolina in Friday Night Tilt - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Top Americans in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Complete Comeback Behind Cherniwchan's Hat Trick - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Down Rabbits 3-1 in Weekend Opener - Florida Everblades
- Hoelscher Plays Hero in Overtime for Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Roar Too Loud as the Railers Lose 6-3 - Worcester Railers HC
- Milosek Stops 40 for Toledo, But Kalamazoo Emerges Victorious, 4-2 - Toledo Walleye
- Ebbing Scores Twice as Royals Move into First Place - Reading Royals
- Big Third Period Springs Solar Bears - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 14 - ECHL
- Buitenhuis Heads Back to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Florida Panthers Sign Evan Fitzpatrick to NHL Deal, Goaltender Assigned to Taxi Squad - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Look to Stay Hot against Last-Place Railers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Gameday: Homestand Opener vs Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Admirals Announce Make-Up Dates for Two Postponed Home Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Frank Hora Signs AHL Deal with Syracuse Crunch - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers: January 14, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Chomping at the Bit for Greenville Trip - Florida Everblades
- Wichita, Rapid City Round Two Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- With Mariners on Break, Ten Players Earn AHL Call Ups - Maine Mariners
- Nate Clurman Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Tulsa, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Assigned High-Scoring Gentile - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Return Home to Face Icemen - Atlanta Gladiators
- Former Royals Goaltender Pat Nagle Selected for U.S. Olympic Team - Reading Royals
- Williams Loaned to Rochester; Fortunato Returns & Icemen Add Two Players - Jacksonville Icemen
- Thunder Silenced by Rush, 4-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.