Ebbing Scores Twice as Royals Move into First Place
The Reading Royals, proud affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, defeated the Worcester Railers, 6-3, Friday, Jan. 14th at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass. Royals goaltender Kirill Ustimenko saved 28 of 31 shots, while Railers goalie Ken Appleby saved 28 of 34.
Halfway into the opening period, the Royals struck first. Anthony Gagnon and Jacob Pritchard connected with a set of passes in the neutral zone before Gagnon burst into the Railers' zone with the puck and beat Appleby high blocker side. The Railers controlled puck possession for much of the final minutes of the period in the Royals' zone, leading to the tying strike from Charlie Spetz. Positioned at the blue line, Spetz wound up and fired a slapshot through traffic and past the screened Ustimenko in net, lighting the lamp with 2:18 remaining in the first period.
In the second period, the flood gates opened for both teams' offenses. Worcester opened the middle period scoring after Cole Coskey was awarded a penalty shot. Coskey beat Ustimenko with a forehand dangle and snipe over the Royals netminder's glove to provide Worcester its first and only lead of the night. The Royals came back with a pair of goals off the sticks of Brad Morrison and Kenny Hausinger in a span of four minutes to retake the lead, 3-2.
9:56 into the third period, Reading stretched out its lead for good. Ebbing received a cross-ice pass in the slot from Morrison and beat Appleby on a one-timer to tally his second goal of the game, the fourth multi-goal game of his ECHL career.
Brayden Low sealed the game with an empty net goal in the final seconds of the Friday night matchup, his second goal in as many games.
The Royals stay in Worcester to take on the Railers in back-to-back faceoffs on Saturday, Jan. 15th at 7:05 p.m. at the DCU Center.
Monday, Jan. 17 at 1:00 p.m. vs. Worcester - The annual MLK Day Game! Kids attending will receive a youth jersey giveaway and get free tickets with the purchase of an adult ticket. They can also get $1 candy bags.
Saturday, Jan. 22 at 4:00 p.m. vs. Trois-Rivieres - DC Superheroes Night! Meet Superman and get $1 superhero ice cream pops as you watch the Royals wear a specialty jersey during the game. Attend the Postgame Party presented by DoubleTree by Hilton Reading afterwards.
Sunday, Jan. 23 at 3:00 p.m. vs. Trois-Rivieres - It's Undie Sundie/Country Night! Donate packaged underwear by throwing it on the ice after the Royals' first goal of the game. All undergarments will be donated to charity. The first 2,000 fans will receive a puck giveaway presented by Berks-Schuylkill Oil Heat Association. Get $1 popcorn, nachos and hot dogs all game. It's also a Salute to Essential Workers Sunday presented by Visions Federal Credit Union for trades workers.
Buy tickets HERE: www.royalshockey.com/promotions
Reading Royals season, flex memberships and group tickets are available for the 2021-22 season by visiting the Royals' box office at Santander Arena or by calling 610-898-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 14, 2022
- Iowa Charges to Force OT vs. Kansas City - Iowa Heartlanders
- Explosive First Period Hands Indy Fourth Straight Win - Indy Fuel
- Rush Strike Late, Beat Thunder, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Fall to Tulsa in OT - Allen Americans
- Admirals Fall to South Carolina in Friday Night Tilt - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Top Americans in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Complete Comeback Behind Cherniwchan's Hat Trick - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Down Rabbits 3-1 in Weekend Opener - Florida Everblades
- Hoelscher Plays Hero in Overtime for Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Roar Too Loud as the Railers Lose 6-3 - Worcester Railers HC
- Milosek Stops 40 for Toledo, But Kalamazoo Emerges Victorious, 4-2 - Toledo Walleye
- Ebbing Scores Twice as Royals Move into First Place - Reading Royals
- Big Third Period Springs Solar Bears - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 14 - ECHL
- Buitenhuis Heads Back to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Florida Panthers Sign Evan Fitzpatrick to NHL Deal, Goaltender Assigned to Taxi Squad - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Look to Stay Hot against Last-Place Railers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Gameday: Homestand Opener vs Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Admirals Announce Make-Up Dates for Two Postponed Home Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Frank Hora Signs AHL Deal with Syracuse Crunch - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers: January 14, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Chomping at the Bit for Greenville Trip - Florida Everblades
- Wichita, Rapid City Round Two Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- With Mariners on Break, Ten Players Earn AHL Call Ups - Maine Mariners
- Nate Clurman Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Tulsa, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Assigned High-Scoring Gentile - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Return Home to Face Icemen - Atlanta Gladiators
- Former Royals Goaltender Pat Nagle Selected for U.S. Olympic Team - Reading Royals
- Williams Loaned to Rochester; Fortunato Returns & Icemen Add Two Players - Jacksonville Icemen
- Thunder Silenced by Rush, 4-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals Take on Thunder to Kick off Back-To-Back on the Road
- Royals Fall in OT to the Lions to Finish out a Three-Point Weekend
- Preview: Royals Host Lions in Back-To-Back at Santander Arena
- Gooch, Low Propel Royals over Lions in First-Ever Meeting at Santander Arena
- Five Unanswered Goals Drown Thunder, 5-2