Stingrays Complete Comeback Behind Cherniwchan's Hat Trick
NORTH CHARLESTON, SC - Andrew Cherniwchan netted his second hat trick of the season, leading the South Carolina Stingrays (11-18-3-0) to a 6-4 victory over the Norfolk Admirals (12-17-1-1) on Friday night at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Norfolk's top scorer, Alex Tonge, opened the scoring with his 13th goal of the year late in the first period. Tonge shed his defender and slid between the circles where he received a pass from Matt Carey, firing a shot over Ryan Bednard's blocker for the 1-0 lead.
The Stingrays evened the score on their third power play of the night 33 seconds into the second stanza. Justin Florek cleaned up a loose rebound, sweeping the puck into the back of the net off the initial shot from Ben Holmstrom.
The Admirals finished off the final half of the second period with three goals beginning with Cody Milan's seventh of the year. Milan found himself alone on the left circle, snapping a wrist shot over the left shoulder of Bednard to regain the one-goal lead.
Following a tussle between the two teams, the Stingrays came away with another power play, but the penalty kill of Norfolk was the story of the series. Carey and Aidan Brown tallied two shorthanded goals 42 seconds apart from one another on breakaways, creating a three-goal lead heading into the third period.
South Carolina stormed back with five unanswered goals in the final 20 minutes with Cherniwchan and newcomer Derek Gentile trading goals. The captain started the scoring 33 seconds into the third period, using patience to find the back of the net past Austin Lotz. Gentile added his first career goal at the 4:41 mark of the third frame firing home the tally from the left circle, cutting the deficit to one.
Cherniwchan tied the game midway through the period with a put-back goal off Florek's initial shot. Gentile's second of the game gave the Stingrays a lead with under two minutes remaining in regulation on a beautiful feed from Alex Brink.
Cherniwchan capped off the night with his second hat trick of the year and his team leading 14th mark of the season.
The Stingrays are back in action tomorrow against the Norfolk Admirals for Military Appreciation Night presented by Atlantic Bedding and Campers Inn RV. There will be an online jersey auction through Dash Auction benefitting Soldier's Angels. Precise Logistical Services is the event sponsor for the evening. Puck drop is set for 6:05pm at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Single game tickets for all your Stingrays home games for the upcoming 2021-22 home season are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
Save money with group tickets! For more information or to purchase, contact the Stingrays by phone at 843-744-2248.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 14, 2022
- Iowa Charges to Force OT vs. Kansas City - Iowa Heartlanders
- Explosive First Period Hands Indy Fourth Straight Win - Indy Fuel
- Rush Strike Late, Beat Thunder, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Fall to Tulsa in OT - Allen Americans
- Admirals Fall to South Carolina in Friday Night Tilt - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Top Americans in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Complete Comeback Behind Cherniwchan's Hat Trick - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Down Rabbits 3-1 in Weekend Opener - Florida Everblades
- Hoelscher Plays Hero in Overtime for Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Roar Too Loud as the Railers Lose 6-3 - Worcester Railers HC
- Milosek Stops 40 for Toledo, But Kalamazoo Emerges Victorious, 4-2 - Toledo Walleye
- Ebbing Scores Twice as Royals Move into First Place - Reading Royals
- Big Third Period Springs Solar Bears - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 14 - ECHL
- Buitenhuis Heads Back to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Florida Panthers Sign Evan Fitzpatrick to NHL Deal, Goaltender Assigned to Taxi Squad - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Look to Stay Hot against Last-Place Railers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Gameday: Homestand Opener vs Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Admirals Announce Make-Up Dates for Two Postponed Home Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Frank Hora Signs AHL Deal with Syracuse Crunch - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers: January 14, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Chomping at the Bit for Greenville Trip - Florida Everblades
- Wichita, Rapid City Round Two Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- With Mariners on Break, Ten Players Earn AHL Call Ups - Maine Mariners
- Nate Clurman Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Tulsa, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Assigned High-Scoring Gentile - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Return Home to Face Icemen - Atlanta Gladiators
- Former Royals Goaltender Pat Nagle Selected for U.S. Olympic Team - Reading Royals
- Williams Loaned to Rochester; Fortunato Returns & Icemen Add Two Players - Jacksonville Icemen
- Thunder Silenced by Rush, 4-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.