Admirals Fall to South Carolina in Friday Night Tilt
CHARLESTON, SC - The Norfolk Admirals, proud ECHL affiliates of the Carolina Hurricanes, fell to the South Carolina Stingrays 6-4 on Friday Night.
The Admirals were playing their first game in seven days after their games against the Jacksonville Icemen were postponed. Norfolk broke the score open late in the first period on an Alex Tonge goal. Tonge's goal was his 13th of the season, and extended his point streak to five games.
An Aidan Brown holding penalty just 26 seconds into the second period would set the Stingrays up with a man advantage. The Stingrays utilized the power play and tied the game up only 33 seconds into the period on a goal by Justin Florek.
The Admirals continued their offensive performance later in the period, scoring three times within four minutes. Cody Milan scored on a pass from Matt Carey to retake the lead for Norfolk. A Chase Lang penalty would give the Stingrays another power play, which would lead to back-to-back short-handed goals by Carey and Brown.
The Stingrays had won just twice when trailing after two periods of play this season. The Admirals had all the momentum going into the final period. But Andrew Cherniwchan scored just 33 seconds into the period in what turned out to be a disastrous period for Norfolk. Cherniwchan would score two more goals, Derek Gentile would add two goals of his own, and the Stingrays would go on to win, 6-4.
The Admirals are back in action Saturday night at 6:05 when they take on the Stingrays once again.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 14, 2022
- Iowa Charges to Force OT vs. Kansas City - Iowa Heartlanders
- Explosive First Period Hands Indy Fourth Straight Win - Indy Fuel
- Rush Strike Late, Beat Thunder, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Fall to Tulsa in OT - Allen Americans
- Admirals Fall to South Carolina in Friday Night Tilt - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Top Americans in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Complete Comeback Behind Cherniwchan's Hat Trick - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Down Rabbits 3-1 in Weekend Opener - Florida Everblades
- Hoelscher Plays Hero in Overtime for Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Roar Too Loud as the Railers Lose 6-3 - Worcester Railers HC
- Milosek Stops 40 for Toledo, But Kalamazoo Emerges Victorious, 4-2 - Toledo Walleye
- Ebbing Scores Twice as Royals Move into First Place - Reading Royals
- Big Third Period Springs Solar Bears - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 14 - ECHL
- Buitenhuis Heads Back to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Florida Panthers Sign Evan Fitzpatrick to NHL Deal, Goaltender Assigned to Taxi Squad - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Look to Stay Hot against Last-Place Railers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Gameday: Homestand Opener vs Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Admirals Announce Make-Up Dates for Two Postponed Home Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Frank Hora Signs AHL Deal with Syracuse Crunch - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers: January 14, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Chomping at the Bit for Greenville Trip - Florida Everblades
- Wichita, Rapid City Round Two Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- With Mariners on Break, Ten Players Earn AHL Call Ups - Maine Mariners
- Nate Clurman Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Tulsa, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Assigned High-Scoring Gentile - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Return Home to Face Icemen - Atlanta Gladiators
- Former Royals Goaltender Pat Nagle Selected for U.S. Olympic Team - Reading Royals
- Williams Loaned to Rochester; Fortunato Returns & Icemen Add Two Players - Jacksonville Icemen
- Thunder Silenced by Rush, 4-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.