Griffins Home Point Streak Continues
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Luke Johnson's shootout goal propelled the Manitoba Moose over the Grand Rapids Griffins 2-1 on Saturday at Van Andel Arena during the season series finale. The Griffins finished the regular season 2-4-0-2 against Manitoba.
Taro Hirose scored the game's first goal early in the third period and now has points in six of the last seven outings (4-4-8). Despite the loss, the Griffins extended their home point streak to eight games (5-0-2-1) and have tallied points in eight of their last nine contests overall (5-1-2-1).
Grand Rapids had multiple opportunities on the power play and penalty kill in the first period, including a shorthanded attempt from Kyle Criscuolo after stealing the puck from the defense at 12:45.
In the middle frame, netminders Calvin Pickard and Arvid Holm held their own in goal, as the Griffins held a slight edge, 8-6.
Grand Rapids broke the scoreless tie early in the third period. At 4:55, Hirose charged into the high slot on a 5-on-3 power play. The third-year pro fired a long shot that sailed through traffic and over the blocker of Holm.
With 10:50 remaining in the third, Leon Gawanke shot from near the blue line at the left wing and sent the disc over the left shoulder of Pickard to tie the contest at one.
Manitoba started on the power play to start the overtime period but couldn't get a late tally. Grand Rapids would also go on its own advantage at 3:18 but was unable to score a game-winner.
A shootout was needed to decide who would take the extra point. After a Hirose tally, Manitoba responded with two consecutive goals, as Johnson slipped the disc through the five-hole of Pickard to clinch the 2-1 victory.
*The Griffins are now 2-9-1-2 (0.250) against the Central-Division leading Chicago Wolves and second-place Manitoba Moose.
*Grand Rapids was awarded a season-high nine power plays.
Manitoba 0 0 1 0 - 2
Grand Rapids 0 0 1 0 - 1
1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Berry Gr (charging), 10:50; Bourque Mb (cross-checking), 13:26; Lashoff Gr (hooking), 13:45; Poganski Mb (hooking), 15:07.
2nd Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Lundmark Mb (holding the stick), 6:47; Bourque Mb (roughing), 8:36; Pickard Gr (tripping), 17:03.
3rd Period-1, Grand Rapids, Hirose 8 (Murphy, Berggren), 4:55 (PP). 2, Manitoba, Gawanke 5 (Johnson, Oligny), 9:10. Penalties-Burgess Mb (tripping), 1:02; Johnson Mb (tripping), 3:01; Jones Mb (delay of game - faceoff violation (batting puck with hand)), 3:51; served by Eyssimont Mb (bench minor - abuse of officials), 4:55; served by Eyssimont Mb (game misconduct - abuse of officials), 4:55; McIsaac Gr (hooking), 20:00.
OT Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Malott Mb (unsportsmanlike conduct, misconduct - abuse of officials), 3:18.
Shootout - Manitoba 2 (Burgess G, Johnson G), Grand Rapids 1 (Criscuolo G, Berggren NG, Hirose NG).
Shots on Goal-Manitoba 9-6-8-2-1-26. Grand Rapids 5-8-11-4-0-28.
Power Play Opportunities-Manitoba 0 / 3; Grand Rapids 1 / 9.
Goalies-Manitoba, Holm 6-2-1 (28 shots-27 saves). Grand Rapids, Pickard 12-8-4 (25 shots-24 saves).
1. MB Johnson (game-winning goal, assist); 2. GR Hirose (power play goal); 3. MB Gawanke (goal)
Record / Next Game
Grand Rapids: 14-11-4-2 (32 pts.) / Tues., Jan. 18 at Cleveland 7 p.m.
Manitoba: 20-9-2-1 (42 pts.) / Wed., Jan. 19 at Iowa 7 p.m. CST
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2022
- Stars Drop Opener of Six-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Texas Stars
- Regula Sets up Every IceHogs Goal; Monsters Hold on for 5-4 Victory - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Home Point Streak Continues - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Take Defensive Battle in a Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Sokolov Scores OT Winner to Complete Two-Game Sweep of Amerks - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Blitz Phantoms for 5-2 Victory - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Staal Scores Overtime Winner as Wild Defeat Wolves, 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Record Point Streak Ends, Penguins Prevail 5-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Crunch Surpass Comets, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Providence Bruins Pick up Second Consecutive Win with 5-3 Victory over Springfield Thunderbirds - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack Blank Rocket 4-0 on the Strength of Two Austin Rueschhoff Goals - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bruins' Spoil T-Birds' Throwback Night in Front of Sold out Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Edge Bears in Overtime, 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Team Effort Secures 5-4 Win over IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolves' Battle Ends in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Quinn Nets Hat Trick in 6-5 Overtime Loss to Senators - Rochester Americans
- Comets Lose to Crunch in Overtime, 4-3 - Utica Comets
- Noel Nets First-Period Hat Trick in Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Reign Sign Iverson, El-Mir from Indy Fuel - Ontario Reign
- 5 Things: Heat vs. Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Willman Returns to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- All 15 AHL Games Available for Free on AHLTV Today - AHL
- Henry, Nielsen Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Slavin Recalled to the Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Winter Weather Update for Sunday's Game - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolf Pack Face First Canadian Opponent Since 2019-20 with Laval in Town - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Amir Miftakhov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Defenseman Dakota Mermis to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Heat Begin Home Stand Saturday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Mitchell Recalled to the Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Recall Wall to Taxi Squad, Assign Kinkaid to Wolf Pack, Knoblauch Resumes Coaching Duties - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Thomas Harley to Taxi Squad - Texas Stars
- Marlies Kickoff Road Trip with Battle vs. Hershey - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Marlies at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #28: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- IceHogs Carry Hot Offense into Rematch vs. Monsters Tonight at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: January 15 at Lehigh Valley - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Henderson Defeated by Reign, 5-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Roadrunners Drop Friday Night Contest To Split Series With San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Abby Canucks Dominate in San Diego - Abbotsford Canucks
- Abbotsford Tops Gulls, 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Roll Roadrunners, 3-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Cruise over Henderson - Ontario Reign
- Belleville Sens Get Past Amerks in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Admirals Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Score Late, Fall to Senators in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- McLaughlin Helps IceHogs Keep up Winning Ways in 5-2 Victory over Monsters - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Real Seafood Company Dinner to Benefit Griffins Youth Foundation
- 2022 IIHF World Championship Features 12 Current Or Former Griffins
- Kyle Criscuolo Honored as Griffins' Person of the Year
- Grand Rapids Griffins 2021-22 Season in Review
- Griffins' 2022-23 Home Opener Set for October 14