Penguins Blitz Phantoms for 5-2 Victory
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins returned to the win column by storming the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 5-2, at PPL Center on Saturday night.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (10-15-1-3) raced out to a 4-0 lead in the second period while out-shooting the Phantoms 27-9 through the first 40 minutes. Lehigh Valley tallied a pair of power-play goals in the third period, but never threatened the Penguins' huge lead.
Following an early penalty kill, the Penguins started to take control of the game. Their constant pressure eventually gave way to Valtteri Puustinen opening the scoring midway through the first period.
The Penguins broke the game open with a triad of goals separated by 1:37 in the second period. First, Sam Poulin settled down a bouncing puck and flicked it over Felix Sandström at 9:50 of the middle frame. Forty-three seconds later, Mitch Reinke set-up Félix Robert for a blistering one-timer. Fifty-four seconds after that, Nathan Légaré unleashed a laser beam to the back of the net and ran Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's lead to 4-0.
The Phantoms spoiled Tommy Nappier's shutout bid midway through the third period on a power-play goal from Connor Bunnaman. Wade Allison tacked on another man-advantage marker with 4:34 left in regulation.
Following Allison's goal, Lehigh Valley pulled its goalie for an extra attacker. With the net empty at the other side of the ice, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton captain Taylor Fedun split the uprights to secure victory for his side.
Nappier earned the win with 20 saves. Sandström was dealt the loss having made 30 stops of 34 shots faced.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is back on home ice for its next game, tomorrow, Sunday, Jan. 16. The Penguins will take on the Hershey Bears for a matinée 3:05 p.m. puck drop. Sunday's clash is also a Kids Free Sunday. Children ages 14 and under can attend the game for free with the purchase of an adult ticket.
Individual game tickets and season-ticket packages for the 2021-22 season are on sale now. Full-Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2022
- Stars Drop Opener of Six-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Texas Stars
- Regula Sets up Every IceHogs Goal; Monsters Hold on for 5-4 Victory - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Home Point Streak Continues - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Take Defensive Battle in a Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Sokolov Scores OT Winner to Complete Two-Game Sweep of Amerks - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Blitz Phantoms for 5-2 Victory - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Staal Scores Overtime Winner as Wild Defeat Wolves, 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Record Point Streak Ends, Penguins Prevail 5-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Crunch Surpass Comets, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Providence Bruins Pick up Second Consecutive Win with 5-3 Victory over Springfield Thunderbirds - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack Blank Rocket 4-0 on the Strength of Two Austin Rueschhoff Goals - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bruins' Spoil T-Birds' Throwback Night in Front of Sold out Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Edge Bears in Overtime, 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Team Effort Secures 5-4 Win over IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolves' Battle Ends in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Quinn Nets Hat Trick in 6-5 Overtime Loss to Senators - Rochester Americans
- Comets Lose to Crunch in Overtime, 4-3 - Utica Comets
- Noel Nets First-Period Hat Trick in Blowout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Reign Sign Iverson, El-Mir from Indy Fuel - Ontario Reign
- 5 Things: Heat vs. Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Willman Returns to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- All 15 AHL Games Available for Free on AHLTV Today - AHL
- Henry, Nielsen Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Slavin Recalled to the Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Winter Weather Update for Sunday's Game - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolf Pack Face First Canadian Opponent Since 2019-20 with Laval in Town - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Amir Miftakhov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Defenseman Dakota Mermis to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Heat Begin Home Stand Saturday against Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Mitchell Recalled to the Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Recall Wall to Taxi Squad, Assign Kinkaid to Wolf Pack, Knoblauch Resumes Coaching Duties - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Thomas Harley to Taxi Squad - Texas Stars
- Marlies Kickoff Road Trip with Battle vs. Hershey - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Marlies at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #28: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- IceHogs Carry Hot Offense into Rematch vs. Monsters Tonight at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: January 15 at Lehigh Valley - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Henderson Defeated by Reign, 5-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Roadrunners Drop Friday Night Contest To Split Series With San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Abby Canucks Dominate in San Diego - Abbotsford Canucks
- Abbotsford Tops Gulls, 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Roll Roadrunners, 3-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Cruise over Henderson - Ontario Reign
- Belleville Sens Get Past Amerks in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Admirals Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Score Late, Fall to Senators in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- McLaughlin Helps IceHogs Keep up Winning Ways in 5-2 Victory over Monsters - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.