Grand Rapids Signs Veteran Justin Abdelkader to PTO
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins on Friday signed left wing Justin Abdelkader to a professional tryout.
The 14-year-pro competed with the Griffins for two seasons from 2008-10 before moving on to the Detroit Red Wings, where he ultimately played parts of 13 seasons. The Muskegon, Mich., native became the first West Michigan native to suit up for Grand Rapids when he made his AHL debut on Oct. 11, 2008. Abdelkader skated in 109 games for the Griffins and totaled 76 points (35-41-76) and 188 penalty minutes, earning AHL All-Rookie Team honors during the 2008-09 season when he logged 52 points (24-28-52) in 76 contests.
Should Abdelkader play on Saturday when Grand Rapids hosts Milwaukee at 7 p.m., he would set the new standard for longest time span between Griffins appearances at 4,305 days, or 11 years, nine months and 12 days (April 10, 2010 to Jan. 22, 2022). The record is currently held by Jonathan Ericsson at 3,888 days, or 10 years, seven months and 22 days (March 1, 2009 to Oct. 23, 2019).
Abdelkader earned a full-time roster spot with Detroit in the 2010-11 season and concluded his NHL career with 739 games, 252 points (106-146-252) and 608 penalty minutes. The left winger wore the "A" on his Red Wings jersey from 2016-20 while also captaining Team USA at two World Championships (2014, 2021). Abdelkader spent his entire North American career in the Red Wings organization and appeared in eight Stanley Cup Playoff runs.
Before being selected 42nd overall by Detroit in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Abdelkader was named Mr. Hockey of Michigan in 2004 when he amassed 80 points (37-43-80) in 28 games with Mona Shores High School. He then went on to win the USHL's Clark Cup with Cedar Rapids in 2004-05. After one year of junior hockey, Abdelkader played for Michigan State and registered 95 points (44-51-95) in 124 outings. He was named the NCAA Tournament MVP in 2007 when he helped lead the Spartans to a national championship.
Most recently, Abdelkader won a Switzerland National League Title with EV Zug in the 2020-21 season. Through 22 combined regular season and playoff games, the 34-year-old accumulated 17 points (10-7-17) and 69 penalty minutes.
Single-game tickets are on sale through griffinshockey.com/tickets . Fans can secure their full-season , select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2022
- Skarek a Wall as Islanders Take 3-1 Win over Providence - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Rock 'N' Roll to the Tune of a 5-1 Win over Marlies - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ryan Bach Named President, Alternate Governor of Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Monsters Fail to Crack Code in 4-1 Loss to Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Providence Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Islanders, 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Statement from Boko Imama - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Silence Crunch with 4-1 Victory - Utica Comets
- Kraken Assign Alexander True to Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Henderson Silver Knights & Vegas Knight Hawks Announce In-Arena Host Auditions - Henderson Silver Knights
- Sherwood, Miska Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Comets Move Next Week's Providence Game to Tuesday Night - Utica Comets
- Jonsson-Fjallby Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Sign Desrocher to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - Tucson Roadrunners
- Statement from the San Jose Barracuda and San Jose Sharks Organizations - San Jose Barracuda
- Dallas Stars Reassign Dellandrea, Gardner and Harley to Texas - Texas Stars
- Barracuda's Krystof Hrabik Suspended 30 Games for Use of Racial Gesture - AHL
- Allison and Cates to Flyers, Bunnaman Returns to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Series Preview vs. Stockton: January 21 & 22 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Iowa Wild to Host Pink in the Rink Night on February 11 - Iowa Wild
- 5 Things, Heat vs. Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Heat Host Henderson Friday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Hardman Recalled To Blackhawks, Yetman Returns, Gabriel Cleared And Barratt Goes On Protocol - Rockford IceHogs
- Grand Rapids Signs Veteran Justin Abdelkader to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 21 at Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Niclas Almari Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Recall Irvine, Loan Mcgrath to Thunder - Utica Comets
- Marlies Return to Action vs. Penguins - Toronto Marlies
- Islanders Face Bruins, T-Birds in "Three-In-Three" - Bridgeport Islanders
- IceHogs Welcome Stars for a "Cold One" Tonight on $2 Bud Light Friday - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Dominik Shine Returns on Two-Year Deal
- Grand Rapids Re-Signs Lashoff and Spezia
- Real Seafood Company Dinner to Benefit Griffins Youth Foundation
- 2022 IIHF World Championship Features 12 Current Or Former Griffins
- Kyle Criscuolo Honored as Griffins' Person of the Year