Crunch Downed by Comets, 4-1
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch were downed by the Utica Comets, 4-1, tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena.
The loss moves the Crunch to 14-12-3-1 on the season and 1-4-1-0 in the 14-game season series against the Comets.
Crunch goaltender Hugo Alnefelt turned aside 13-of-16 shots before being relieved by Max Lagace for the third period. Lagace went on to stop all six shots he faced. Akira Schmid blocked 34-of-35 between the pipes for the Comets. Syracuse was unable to convert on their one power play opportunity, while Utica went 1-for-2.
Utica opened scoring 1:27 into the game. Aarne Talvitie centered the puck for Alexander Holtz to fire in with a one-timer from the slot.
They doubled their lead on the power play 6:47 into the middle frame when Nolan Foote chipped in a rebound during a scramble in front of the net. With 3:52 remaining in the second period, the Comets went up by three. Fabian Zetterlund came into the zone down the right side and dropped the puck back to Foote before cutting towards the cage and scoring on the return feed.
At the 15:12 mark of the third period, Nate Schnarr hit the empty net to make it a 4-0 Comets lead.
Syracuse squashed hopes a shutout for Schmid with 2:14 remaining in the game when Sean Day fired a slap shot from the top of the left circle to get the Crunch on the board.
The teams travel to Utica to finish the weekend's home-and-home series tomorrow.
Single game tickets and ticket packages for the 2021-22 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the Upstate Medical University Arena at Onondaga County War Memorial at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster.
For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch).
Crunchables: Gabriel Dumont and Alex Barre-Boulet had four-game points streaks snapped tonight...With a goal tonight, Sean Day has tied his career high with three.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2022
- Skarek a Wall as Islanders Take 3-1 Win over Providence - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Rock 'N' Roll to the Tune of a 5-1 Win over Marlies - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ryan Bach Named President, Alternate Governor of Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Monsters Fail to Crack Code in 4-1 Loss to Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Providence Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Islanders, 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Statement from Boko Imama - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Silence Crunch with 4-1 Victory - Utica Comets
- Kraken Assign Alexander True to Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Henderson Silver Knights & Vegas Knight Hawks Announce In-Arena Host Auditions - Henderson Silver Knights
- Sherwood, Miska Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Comets Move Next Week's Providence Game to Tuesday Night - Utica Comets
- Jonsson-Fjallby Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Sign Desrocher to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - Tucson Roadrunners
- Statement from the San Jose Barracuda and San Jose Sharks Organizations - San Jose Barracuda
- Dallas Stars Reassign Dellandrea, Gardner and Harley to Texas - Texas Stars
- Barracuda's Krystof Hrabik Suspended 30 Games for Use of Racial Gesture - AHL
- Allison and Cates to Flyers, Bunnaman Returns to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Series Preview vs. Stockton: January 21 & 22 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Iowa Wild to Host Pink in the Rink Night on February 11 - Iowa Wild
- 5 Things, Heat vs. Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Heat Host Henderson Friday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Hardman Recalled To Blackhawks, Yetman Returns, Gabriel Cleared And Barratt Goes On Protocol - Rockford IceHogs
- Grand Rapids Signs Veteran Justin Abdelkader to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 21 at Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Niclas Almari Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Recall Irvine, Loan Mcgrath to Thunder - Utica Comets
- Marlies Return to Action vs. Penguins - Toronto Marlies
- Islanders Face Bruins, T-Birds in "Three-In-Three" - Bridgeport Islanders
- IceHogs Welcome Stars for a "Cold One" Tonight on $2 Bud Light Friday - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.