Frk, Maccelli, Annunen Named AHL Award Winners for November
December 1, 2021 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Ontario Reign forward Martin Frk, Tucson Roadrunners forward Matias Maccelli and Colorado Eagles goaltender Justus Annunen have been selected as the league's award winners for November.
Frk, the AHL Player of the Month, totaled five goals and nine assists for 14 points in eight games for Ontario in November.
Frk's offensive output came within the first five games of the month, posting back-to-back four-point games followed by a run of three consecutive two-point efforts. On Nov. 3, he notched two goals and two assists to lead the Reign to a 5-2 win at Henderson. He came back with another two-goal, two-assist night on Nov. 6 as Ontario defeated Bakersfield, 6-3. Frk tallied two assists in a 4-3 win over Colorado on Nov. 7, recorded a goal and an assist at Tucson on Nov. 12, and dished out two more assists against the Roadrunners on Nov. 13.
Frk ranks third in the AHL with 20 points (nine goals, 11 assists) in 15 games this season for Ontario. The ninth-year pro from Pelhrimov, Czech Republic, has totaled 106 goals and 94 assists for 200 points in 293 career AHL games with Ontario and Grand Rapids, and has added 25 points in 30 postseason outings, winning a Calder Cup championship with the Griffins in 2017. Frk represented the Reign at the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic in Ontario, where he shattered an AHL Skills Competition record with a shot clocked at 109.2 miles per hour.
Originally a second-round choice by Detroit in the 2012 NHL Draft, Frk has played 118 games in the National Hockey League with Carolina, Detroit and Los Angeles, recording 18 goals and 21 assists for 39 points.
Maccelli, the AHL Rookie of the Month, tallied six goals and eight assists for 14 points in eight games for Tucson during November.
After notching an assist at Henderson on Nov. 6, Maccelli scored the first three goals of his AHL career on Nov. 12, part of a five-point night in an 8-4 win over Ontario. He picked up another assist on Nov. 13 against Ontario, and finished the month with goals in three straight games, beginning with the Roadrunners' 2-1 win at Iowa on Nov. 21. Maccelli tallied a goal and an assist in a 4-1 win over Abbotsford on Nov. 26, and notched a goal and three assists as Tucson rallied for a 5-4 victory over the Canucks on Nov. 27.
A fourth-round choice by Arizona in the 2019 NHL Draft, the 21-year-old Maccelli played the last two seasons with Ilves Tampere in Finland's SM-liiga, and represented Finland at the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Annunen, the AHL Goaltender of the Month, was 5-1-2 in eight starts during November, posting a 1.83 goals-against average and a .937 save percentage.
Each of Annunen's first seven appearances last month were one-goal games, beginning with his 29-save effort in a 2-1 win over Texas on Nov. 2. He stopped 21 shots in a 3-2 victory at San Diego on Nov. 6, and made 30 saves as the Eagles defeated Texas, 2-1, in a shootout on Nov. 12. Annunen made 23 saves as Colorado edged Henderson, 2-1, on Nov. 20, and stopped a season-high 36 shots in a 5-1 win over Stockton on Nov. 27.
Annunen, 21, was a third-round choice by the Colorado Avalanche in the 2018 NHL Draft and made his North American debut last season with the Eagles, appearing in two regular-season games and one playoff contest. Annunen played two seasons for Karpat in the Finnish SM-liiga and was a member of Finland's team at the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2021
- Dellandrea Seals Stars Win in First-Ever Meeting with Laval - Texas Stars
- Barratt, Morrison and McLaughlin Take Down Admirals to Start Road Trip - Rockford IceHogs
- Utica Goaltender Schmid Shuts out Senators - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Robinson - San Diego Gulls
- Abbotsford Canucks First Intermission Teddy Bear Toss for Toys for Tots - Abbotsford Canucks
- Annunen Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Assign Fasching to Tucson Roadrunners - Tucson Roadrunners
- Monsters Recall D-Man Giovanni Vallati from ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Matias Maccelli Named Rookie of Month - Tucson Roadrunners
- Martin Frk Named AHL Player of the Month - Ontario Reign
- Annunen Named AHL Goaltender of the Month for November - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Announce Upcoming Promotions - San Jose Barracuda
- Frk, Maccelli, Annunen Named AHL Award Winners for November - AHL
- AHL Announces Postponements, Schedule Changes - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- $2 Beer Friday and Blackout Cancer Saturday in Condorstown - Bakersfield Condors
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Dmitry Semykin from Syracuse Crunch to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Wade Allison Activated, Max Willman Returns - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ticketing Update - Marlies vs. Thunderbirds December 4th - Toronto Marlies
- Teddy Bear Toss Set for December 11 - Charlotte Checkers
- AHL Announces Changes That Affect Bridgeport Islanders Home Games - Bridgeport Islanders
- American Hockey League Announces Game Postponements, Schedule Changes - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Announce Postponement of Games on December 3rd and 4th - Hartford Wolf Pack
- American Hockey League Announces Game Postponements, Schedule Changes - Springfield Thunderbirds
- American Hockey League Announces Game Postponements, Schedule Changes - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Games December 4 and December 5 Postponed - Hershey Bears
- AHL Announces Game Postponements - Utica Comets
- AHL Announces Providence Bruins Schedule Changes - Providence Bruins
- American Hockey League Announces Game Postponements, Schedule Changes - AHL
- Wolves Bring in Brickley - Chicago Wolves
- McCarron Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Sean Day to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Goaltender Pavel Francouz Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Kraken Recall Kole Lind and Joey Daccord - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Almeida and Reilly Reassigned to Penguins from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 7 - Bridgeport Islanders
- IceHogs Open December Schedule and Three-Game Road Trip Tonight in Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Phil Di Giuseppe, Abby Canucks Deke out Reign for Big Win Tuesday Night - Abbotsford Canucks
- Abbotsford Holds off Reign - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.