First Period Hole Buries Mariners in Brampton
BRAMPTON, ON - The Mariners fell into a 3-0 first period hole on Saturday night at the CAA Centre and that was more than enough for Beast goaltender Alex Dubeau, who made 25 saves on 26 Maine shots in a 4-1 Brampton victory. The Mariners saw their three game point streak come to an end, losing to Brampton for the second night in a row.
The game got off to an inauspicious start when Terrence Wallin blocked a shot in the game's first minute and had to be helped to the dressing room. Off the ensuing faceoff, Erik Bradford deflected home TJ Melancon's shot from the right point past Francois Brassard for a 1-0 Brampton lead just 25 seconds into the game. The Beast doubled the lead at 9:03 when they worked a 3-on-2 into a nice passing play, that finished with Linsday Sparks on the backdoor, tapping one into an open side. The Mariners then picked up the pressure but were unable to get a puck past Beast netminder Alex Dubeau and promptly fell down 3-0 when defenseman Miles Gendron raced down the left wing and beat Brassard from the circle.
The score remained 3-0 entering the third, where Connor Sanvido added on for the Beast at 1:44, set up by Jackson Leef and Perry D'Arrisso. Michael McNicholas scored an unassisted shorthanded goal at 17:51 to break up Dubeau's shutout bid. Brampton outshot Maine, 29-26.
The Mariners play their final game in Brampton for the regular season tomorrow at 2 PM, and will then be off the All-Star break. They'll return home on Friday, January 24th for Star Wars night, against Worcester once again. It's a "1-2-3 Friday," featuring $1 Aquafina, $2 Pepsi products, and $3 Bud Light Drafts through the start of the 2nd period. Star Wars characters from local fan groups will be on hand, and the first 2,000 fans in attendance will get a Mariners t-shirt courtesy of Unifirst. Groups of 10 or more can get discounted tickets to all games by calling 833-GO-MAINE. Individual tickets can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com, at the Trusted Choice Box Office inside the Cross Insurance Arena, or by calling 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2020
- Solar Bears Drop First Game to IceMen in over a Year - Orlando Solar Bears
- Soper-Man Leads Swamp Rabbits to Victory - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Edge Solar Bears 3-1 in Front of Sold out Crowd - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mavs Snakebit in Front of Sellout Crowd, Blown out in Saturday Night Contest to Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Drop Final Matchup of Season against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Comeback Leads Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rays Win Fifth Straight on Military Appreciation Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- The Force Was Strong in Brampton's Saturday Win - Brampton Beast
- First Period Flurry Leads Florida Past Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Opening Statement: Strong First Pushes 'Blades Past K-Wings - Florida Everblades
- McAdam Earns Shutout as Thunder Rout Railers, 5-0 - Adirondack Thunder
- First Period Hole Buries Mariners in Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Boots Makes 46 Saves in Railers 5-0 Loss in Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Fuel Finish Weekend with Division Win over Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- 'Rays Edge Glads in Tight 4-2 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Drop Final Game Before All-Star Break - Wheeling Nailers
- Tucson Roadrunners Send Brandon Halverson Back to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl Returns from Recall to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Howdeshell Earns Call-Up to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Wichita at Utah, January 18th, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, January 18, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Loan Three to AHL - Allen Americans
- Legault's Late Winner Powers Rush against Fuel - Rapid City Rush
- Game Notes: at Cincinnati - Rapid City Rush
- Forward Zach Magwood Reassigned to Everblades from AHL's Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Savage Reassigned from Milwaukee - Maine Mariners
- Americans Play Solo Game in Kansas City Tonight - Allen Americans
- Eriksson Ek Shines in Overtime Loss to Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizz Win 4-1 vs Wichita - Utah Grizzlies
- Supinski Seals Steelheads 2-1 Overtime Win over Oilers in Sellout - Idaho Steelheads
- Vesey Nets First of Season in 4-1 Loss at Utah - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.