First Period Flurry Leads Florida Past Kalamazoo
KALAMAZOO, MI - A 3-0 first period hole set the Kalamazoo Wings (13-20-4-0) back Saturday in a 4-1 loss to the Florida Everblades (25-11-2-2) at Wings Event Center in the final home game of January.
Like they did Wednesday, the Everblades opened up a three-goal first period cushion, as Zach Magwood sniped a shot on a 2-on-1 rush with 7:06 left in the frame to start the scoring. Then Levko Koper made it 2-0 after a failed clearing attempt. Florida added one more before the end of the frame, when Koper found Hunter Garlent on a 2-on-0 rush against Jake Hildebrand.
Neither team generated very many scoring chances in the middle period, but Justin Taylor capitalized on one of Kalamazoo's, when he banged in a rebound to make it 3-1. The K-Wings received the only two power play opportunities, but could not cash in.
Florida opened its lead back up to three goals when Justin Auger scored on the Everblades first power play early in the third period. Ken Appleby stopped 20 of 21 Kalamazoo shots in just the third game this season the Wings scored fewer than two goals.
Kalamazoo pauses for the All-Star Break before traveling to Tulsa next Friday and Saturday for two games against the Oilers at 8:05 p.m. ET at the BOK Center. Catch all the action on 1660 AM or ECHL TV online, with pregame coverage starting at 7:45 p.m.
Kalamazoo Wings 3-Packs are now available online! Reserve your tickets for the three biggest games in the best seats with the best eats. Visit kwings.com for more information about all the perks that come with a K-Wings 3-Pack!
The Kalamazoo Wings are a professional hockey team located in southwest Michigan that has been a staple in the Kalamazoo, MI professional sports landscape since 1974. The K-Wings compete in the ECHL and are the AA affiliate of the National Hockey League's Vancouver Canucks. Kalamazoo plays their 36 regular season home games at Wings Event Center from October through April.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2020
- Solar Bears Drop First Game to IceMen in over a Year - Orlando Solar Bears
- Soper-Man Leads Swamp Rabbits to Victory - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Edge Solar Bears 3-1 in Front of Sold out Crowd - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mavs Snakebit in Front of Sellout Crowd, Blown out in Saturday Night Contest to Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Drop Final Matchup of Season against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Comeback Leads Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rays Win Fifth Straight on Military Appreciation Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- The Force Was Strong in Brampton's Saturday Win - Brampton Beast
- First Period Flurry Leads Florida Past Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Opening Statement: Strong First Pushes 'Blades Past K-Wings - Florida Everblades
- McAdam Earns Shutout as Thunder Rout Railers, 5-0 - Adirondack Thunder
- First Period Hole Buries Mariners in Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Boots Makes 46 Saves in Railers 5-0 Loss in Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Fuel Finish Weekend with Division Win over Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- 'Rays Edge Glads in Tight 4-2 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Drop Final Game Before All-Star Break - Wheeling Nailers
- Tucson Roadrunners Send Brandon Halverson Back to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl Returns from Recall to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Howdeshell Earns Call-Up to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Wichita at Utah, January 18th, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, January 18, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Loan Three to AHL - Allen Americans
- Legault's Late Winner Powers Rush against Fuel - Rapid City Rush
- Game Notes: at Cincinnati - Rapid City Rush
- Forward Zach Magwood Reassigned to Everblades from AHL's Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Savage Reassigned from Milwaukee - Maine Mariners
- Americans Play Solo Game in Kansas City Tonight - Allen Americans
- Eriksson Ek Shines in Overtime Loss to Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizz Win 4-1 vs Wichita - Utah Grizzlies
- Supinski Seals Steelheads 2-1 Overtime Win over Oilers in Sellout - Idaho Steelheads
- Vesey Nets First of Season in 4-1 Loss at Utah - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Sorenson Leads Comeback, But Banged up Wings Fall in Fort Wayne
- Buzzer-Beating Game-Tying Goal Overturned, K-Wings Lose
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of February 17
- Sandler Nets Hat Trick, But Second Period Dooms Wings
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime