Wolf Pack Close Season with a Victory
Binghamton, NY, April 14, 2018 - Ryan Gropp scored the third-period game-winning goal, and added an assist, for the Hartford Wolf Pack Saturday night at the Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena, in a 4-2 win over the Binghamton Devils in the Wolf Pack's last game of the 2017-18 season.
Gabriel Fontaine also had a goal and an assist for the Wolf Pack, and Vinni Lettieri also scored. Adam Tambellini added an empty-net goal, and Chris Bigras had two assists.
With the win, the Wolf Pack finished the season above .500, at 34-33-6-3, and swept a home- and-home with the Devils, whom they defeated 2-1 in overtime on Friday night at the XL Center.
"Really liked the effort by the group," Wolf Pack head coach Keith McCambridge said, "the last push as we moved ourselves through the back half of the season, the character, the work ethic, having the chance to really have the structure and systems sink in, with the some of the movement that we've had with regards to players going up and down. A real nice way to finish in a back-to-back scenario here, to go into the summer on a positive note."
The two teams traded goals in an evenly-played first period, in which both teams had a dozen shots on goal.
Binghamton got an early power play opportunity, when Dawson Leedahl was called for slashing at 1:46, and the Devils converted at 2:23, on a goal by Brett Seney. He took a pass from Nick Lappin and fired a shot from just inside the left faceoff dot that beat Wolf Pack goaltender Marek Mazanec on the stick side.
The Wolf Pack equalized at 7:14, on Fontaine's ninth goal of the season. Bigras snapped the puck toward the net from the right point, and Fontaine deflected it past Binghamton netminder Ken Appleby.
Most of the second period was scoreless, before both clubs scored in a span of 23 seconds late in the frame.
The Wolf Pack took a short-lived 2-1 lead at 17:25, when Lettieri increased his team-leading goal total to 23. Ryan Lindgren passed from the left point to Bigras at the right point for a one-timer, and Lettieri deflected it past Appleby's right pad.
The Devils answered right back, though, at 17:48, on a goal by Kevin Rooney. Michael Latta centered the puck from behind the net, and it hit Mario Lucia and came to Rooney, who fired it past Mazanec.
The Wolf Pack controlled the early stages of the third period, and would go ahead to stay at 4:12, with Gropp scoring his 14th of the season. After a shot by Vince Pedrie from the right point was deflected through Appleby's legs and wide of the goal, Fontaine moved the puck to Gropp on the left side. Gropp let go a shot that Appleby went down on the ice to attempt to stop, but it hit his pads and slid just over the goal line.
Tambellini then iced the win with 1:19 left, after the Devils had lifted Appleby for an extra skater. Tambellini collected the puck near the center line and wired in through Devil defenseman Yaroslav Dyblenko's legs and into the vacated cage.
"In a back-to-back scenario where there was not much on the line, you want to make sure that you finish playing the game the right way," McCambridge said. "And I thought, to a man, we did that."
Information about all of the Wolf Pack's many attractive ticketing options can be found on-line at www.hartfordwolfpack.com. To speak with a Wolf Pack representative, call (855) 762-6451.
Hartford Wolf Pack 4 at Binghamton Devils 2
Saturday - Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena
Hartford 1 1 2 - 4
Binghamton 1 1 0 - 2
1st Period-1, Binghamton, Seney 3 (Lappin, Pietila), 2:23 (PP). 2, Hartford, Fontaine 9 (Bigras, Gropp), 7:14. Penalties-Leedahl Hfd (slashing), 1:46; Thomson Bng (tripping), 3:17; Tambellini Hfd (holding), 17:06.
2nd Period-3, Hartford, Lettieri 23 (Bigras, Lindgren), 17:25. 4, Binghamton, Rooney 14 (Lucia, Latta), 17:48. Penalties-Labrie Hfd (roughing, boarding), 6:57; Thomson Bng (roughing), 6:57; Pietila Bng (broken stick), 19:24.
3rd Period-5, Hartford, Gropp 14 (Fontaine), 4:12. 6, Hartford, Tambellini 16 18:41 (EN). Penalties-Lindgren Hfd (roughing), 5:05; Seney Bng (roughing), 5:05; Helgesen Hfd (roughing), 9:50; Leedahl Hfd (roughing), 9:50; Mandat Bng (cross-checking, roughing), 9:50; Thomson Bng (roughing), 9:50; Ronning Hfd (tripping), 12:04; Lettieri Hfd (roughing), 12:28; MacDonald Bng (roughing), 12:28; Crawley Hfd (slashing), 19:52.
Shots on Goal-Hartford 12-8-11-31. Binghamton 12-12-8-32.
Power Play Opportunities-Hartford 0 / 3; Binghamton 1 / 5.
Goalies-Hartford, Mazanec 11-6-1 (32 shots-30 saves). Binghamton, Appleby 10-13-2 (30 shots-27 saves).
Referees-Corey Syvret (42), Cameron Voss (41).
Linesmen-Jim Harper (59), J.P. Waleski (14).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2018
- Findlay Scores Final Marker as Heat Fall 2-1 vs. San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Hronek's Four Points Pace Griffins' 6-4 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Cap Season with 6-4 Road Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Penguins Lose Close Battle with Phantoms in Shootout, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Fall to Amerks, 4-2, in Regular Season Finale - Syracuse Crunch
- San Antonio Finishes 2017-18 Season with 4-3 Shootout Victory over Texas - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Double up Crunch 4-2 to Close out Regular Season - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Cap Regular Season with 2-1 Shootout Triumph over Rival Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sellout Crowd Sees Ads Fall to Wild - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bailey scores for second straight night in Bridgeport's final road game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Close Season with a Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Close out Season Series with 2-1 Win over Bridgeport - Hershey Bears
- Sens Beat Comets in Home Finale - Belleville Senators
- Sens Announce Winners of 2017-18 Team Awards - Belleville Senators
- Devils Draw 6th Sellout Crowd in 4-2 Loss to Wolf Pack - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Fall in Front of 9th Sellout Crowd of Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Syracuse Crunch to Face Rochester Americans in First Round of 2018 Calder Cup Playoffs - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks to Face Syracuse Crunch in First Round of the 2018 Calder Cup Playoffs - Rochester Americans
- Manitoba Moose Moose Announce First Round Playoff Dates - Manitoba Moose
- Notre Dame's Cook Signs PTO with Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Closes out Season with 4-2 Win at Milwaukee - Iowa Wild
- Comets Fall to Senators in Road Finale - Utica Comets
- Griffins-Moose Series Starts Saturday in Winnipeg - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Announce Home Playoff Dates - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Pay Tribute to Humboldt Broncos - Hershey Bears
- Special Teams Shine in 5-0 P-Bruins Win - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Announce Home Playoff Dates - Charlotte Checkers
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2017-18 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #68 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Announcing the Calder Cup Playoffs Schedule - Ontario Reign
- Reign Release 2018 First Round Calder Cup Playoff Dates - Ontario Reign
- Stars Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Texas Stars
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Olivier Mantha from Adirondack Thunder - Syracuse Crunch
- Borkowski Recalled from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Preview: Bears to Honor Humboldt Broncos on Fan Appreciation Night - Hershey Bears
- Someone Wins a Chevrolet Spark at the Condors Game Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets, April 14 - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Host Rocket in Rematch - Toronto Marlies
- Kempe Executes Late, Roadrunners Clinch West - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Still in Playoff Hunt after 3-2 Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Drop 4-2 Decision to Stars in Final Home Game of the Season - San Antonio Rampage
- Stockton Stays in the Hunt as They Down Reign 5-2 - Stockton Heat
- Valiev Breaks Sparks' Shutout on Fan Appreciation Night - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Wolf Pack Stories
- Wolf Pack Weekly
- Wolf Pack Holds off Providence 4-3
- Bruins Bounce Pack in OT
- Road Unkind to Wolf Pack as Hartford Loses First of Season
- Wolf Pack Weekly, October 8-14