Thunder Drop Front End to Royals by 4-1 Final
GLENS FALLS, NY - Matias Cleland scored a goal against his former squad to move into a tie for first place in points among Thunder defenseman, but that's all Adirondack could muster in a 4-1 loss to Reading on Friday night in Glens Falls, NY.
Reading jumped out to a 2-0 lead after the opening frame courtesy of goals from Jacob Graves and Chris McCarthy. The defenseman notched the game's first goal with a shot from the point just over three minutes into the game. Graves collected a pass from Alex Roos who was circling behind the net and took a half slap-shot that went off the inside pad of Alex Sakellaropoulos and in for a 1-0 Royals lead.
McCarthy doubled the Reading lead at 12:09 of the first with a quick wrister down the left wing. Josh MacDonald sprung him with a pass off the boards and the 2nd Team All-ECHL forward potted his quick wrister by Sakellaropoulos.
Cleland got Adirondack back to within a goal with his fifth score of the season at 16:54 of the second period. After Mike Szmatula won the offensive-zone draw back to the defenseman, Cleland put a shot on net that went off the stick of Graves and into the cage to make it a 2-1 game.
Tyler Brown restored the two-goal advantage with less than a minute remaining in the frame. With traffic around him, the former Adirondack Phantom tossed a backhand on net that beat a screened Sakellaropoulos to let Reading take a 3-1 lead into the final 20 minutes.
Nick Luukko scored the only goal of the third period during 4-on-4 action. Michael Huntebrinker's lead pass put the defenseman on a breakaway and a quick wrister over the goaltender's shoulder made it a 4-1 final.
Sakellaropoulos played in his first game since being released from his PTO with the Springfield Thunderbirds and made 32 saves in his return to the Thunder lineup.
The two teams complete the home-and-home set tomorrow evening at Santander Arena in Reading. For the latest Thunder news, follow the team on all social media @ECHLThunder.
Images from this story
Adirondack Thunder forward Peter MacArthur vs. the Reading Royals
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Everblades in OT in Series Finale - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Extend Winning Streak to Four in 5-1 Win at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Eliminated from Playoff Contention After Shootout Loss to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Doubling Down-ing: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Tie ECHL Home-Win Record - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Olivieri's Late Goal Not Enough as Norfolk Falls to Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Kalk, Skinner Leads Thunder to Win vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight at Home - Tulsa Oilers
- Three Unanswered in the Third Doom K-Wings on Friday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Playoff Hopes Dashed in 4-2 Loss at Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Power Play Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - Maine Mariners
- Royals One Point Back of Fourth and Final Playoff Spot with Win at Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Torpedo Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Drop Front End to Royals by 4-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with Shootout Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Fall in a Shootout in Manchester - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Playoff Hopes Fall Short in Game 70 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hudon Loaned to American Hockey League's Laval Rocket - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Ink Defenseman Hyman - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Sign Portland Winterhawks Defenseman Jared Freadrich - Orlando Solar Bears
- Eric Sweetman Loaned to AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - April 5 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Face Solar Bears to Start Regular Season's Final Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Add Defenseman Tommy Parran on ATO - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Newfoundland's O'Brien Receives 2018-19 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Nominate Connor Doherty for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, April 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- James Henry Receives 2018-2019 ECHL Community Service Award - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack's Henry Receives 2018-19 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals Are 2 Points out of Playoff Spot, Visit Thunder Friday - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Make First Visit to Tulsa - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.