Cyclones Tie ECHL Home-Win Record
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (51-12-5-3) tied an ECHL record with their 30 th home win of the season, following a 2-1 shootout triumph over the Brampton Beast on Friday night. Forward Ben Johnson scored the lone goal for Cincinnati in the shootout, while forward Alex Wideman potted the lone shootout tally. The Cyclones are the third team in ECHL history to record 30 home wins in a season, joining the San Diego Gulls in 2003-04 and Louisiana Ice Gators in 2001-02.
After a scoreless opening period, Cincinnati broke through 12:18 into the second when Johnson took a pass in the slot and rifled in a shot past Brampton goaltender Etienne Marcoux to give Cincinnati a 1-0 lead.
The 'Clones took their 1-0 lead into the locker room after the second, and in the third the Beast turned up the offensive intensity and tied the game with under five minutes to play when forward Daniel Leavens found the back of the net to tie the game, 1-1. The teams battled and exchanged scoring chances throughout the remainder of the period, however the 1-1 stalemate persisted and the teams headed into overtime.
After a scoreless extra session that resulted in plenty of chances for both teams, the game headed into a shootout where Wideman netted the lone marker to send Cincinnati to the 2-1 shootout victory.
Shots in the game were tied, 27-27, with Cyclones goaltender Michael Houser stopping 26 in the win. The Cyclones close out the regular season on Saturday night against the Ft. Wayne Komets. Face-off is slated for 7:30pm ET.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, a nd the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride!Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com !
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Everblades in OT in Series Finale - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Extend Winning Streak to Four in 5-1 Win at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Eliminated from Playoff Contention After Shootout Loss to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Doubling Down-ing: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Tie ECHL Home-Win Record - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Olivieri's Late Goal Not Enough as Norfolk Falls to Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Kalk, Skinner Leads Thunder to Win vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight at Home - Tulsa Oilers
- Three Unanswered in the Third Doom K-Wings on Friday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Playoff Hopes Dashed in 4-2 Loss at Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Power Play Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - Maine Mariners
- Royals One Point Back of Fourth and Final Playoff Spot with Win at Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Torpedo Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Drop Front End to Royals by 4-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with Shootout Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Fall in a Shootout in Manchester - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Playoff Hopes Fall Short in Game 70 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hudon Loaned to American Hockey League's Laval Rocket - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Ink Defenseman Hyman - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Sign Portland Winterhawks Defenseman Jared Freadrich - Orlando Solar Bears
- Eric Sweetman Loaned to AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - April 5 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Face Solar Bears to Start Regular Season's Final Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Add Defenseman Tommy Parran on ATO - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Newfoundland's O'Brien Receives 2018-19 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Nominate Connor Doherty for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, April 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- James Henry Receives 2018-2019 ECHL Community Service Award - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack's Henry Receives 2018-19 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals Are 2 Points out of Playoff Spot, Visit Thunder Friday - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Make First Visit to Tulsa - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Schultz Reaches Milestone in Dominating Offensive Performance
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne Komets
- Milan Wins It in Overtime for Cyclones Following Defensive Battle
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Allen Americans
- Cyclones Send Kids Home Happy with Matinee Win