Eric Sweetman Loaned to AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho Steelheads defenseman Eric Sweetman has been loaned to the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL), marking his first career AHL call-up, Steelheads Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Neil Graham announced Friday.
Sweetman, 25, has played 32 games with the Steelheads this season, recording two goals and eight assists for 10 points with 13 penalty minutes and four power play assists. The Woodbine, Md. native has played both professional seasons with the Steelheads, making his debut on Oct. 13, 2017 and scoring his first professional goal on Jan. 10, 2018. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound defenseman was named 2018 Steelheads Defenseman of the Year, and through 96 career games he owns 12 goals and 25 assists for 37 points with a plus-19 rating.
Prior to joining the Steelheads, Sweetman played four seasons at St. Lawrence University, boasting 16 goals and 48 assists for 64 points through 146 games over four seasons. He served as an alternate captain for his junior and senior seasons while also being named 2016-17 ECAC Hockey Media Association's Best Defensive Defenseman.
This marks the 12th Steelheads ECHL contracted player called-up to the AHL this season, including Ryan Faragher (Stockton, three times), Kale Kessy (Manitoba, Colorado), Steve McParland (Stockton, San Diego - twice), Norrish (Texas), Reid Petryk (Chicago), Colton Saucerman (Utica), and Sweetman.
The Steelheads close the home schedule of the 2018-19 regular season tonight at 7:10 p.m. at CenturyLink Arena to open a three-game weekend against the Utah Grizzlies.
Tickets for the 2019 U.S. Bank Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub, are on sale now! The Mountain Division Semifinals begin Friday, Apr. 12, so act now by contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Everblades in OT in Series Finale - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Extend Winning Streak to Four in 5-1 Win at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Eliminated from Playoff Contention After Shootout Loss to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Doubling Down-ing: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Tie ECHL Home-Win Record - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Olivieri's Late Goal Not Enough as Norfolk Falls to Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Kalk, Skinner Leads Thunder to Win vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight at Home - Tulsa Oilers
- Three Unanswered in the Third Doom K-Wings on Friday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Playoff Hopes Dashed in 4-2 Loss at Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Power Play Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - Maine Mariners
- Royals One Point Back of Fourth and Final Playoff Spot with Win at Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Torpedo Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Drop Front End to Royals by 4-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with Shootout Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Fall in a Shootout in Manchester - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Playoff Hopes Fall Short in Game 70 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hudon Loaned to American Hockey League's Laval Rocket - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Ink Defenseman Hyman - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Sign Portland Winterhawks Defenseman Jared Freadrich - Orlando Solar Bears
- Eric Sweetman Loaned to AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - April 5 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Face Solar Bears to Start Regular Season's Final Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Add Defenseman Tommy Parran on ATO - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Newfoundland's O'Brien Receives 2018-19 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Nominate Connor Doherty for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, April 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- James Henry Receives 2018-2019 ECHL Community Service Award - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack's Henry Receives 2018-19 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals Are 2 Points out of Playoff Spot, Visit Thunder Friday - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Make First Visit to Tulsa - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.