Oilers Win Sixth Straight at Home
TULSA, OK - A three-goal third period spurred a 4-1 win for the Tulsa Oilers (41-23-6) Friday over the Kalamazoo Wings (36-30-5) in the first game of the final weekend of the regular season at the BOK Center. The win was Tulsa's sixth straight on home ice and 11th in its last 14 games overall.
Tulsa gained the early edge when Mike McKee set up Ian McNulty for a one-timer from the right circle on a 2-on-1 rush. The Wings tied things up at 1-1 when Tanner Sorenson danced past the Tulsa defense late in a Kalamazoo power play and snapped a shot past Devin Williams. The Oilers held a slight 9-8 shots advantage after 20 minutes.
The two teams remained tied at 1-1 after a scoreless second period, where Williams and Wings goaltender Ivan Kulbakov stole the show. Williams stopped all eight shots he faced, finishing with 21 for the game, while Kulbakov turned away all 12 he faced in the frame.
The Oilers regained the lead when Adam Pleskach threaded a pass through the slot to Eric Drapluk on the backdoor, and Drapluk slid a shot past Kulbakov for the eventual game-winner. Roman Ammirato added an insurance goal early in a Tulsa power play with 3:57 remaining to make it 3-1, and Jared Thomas buried an empty net goal with 1:02 left to complete the three-goal third period.
Tulsa's magic number to clinch the Mountain Division, pending the late result of Idaho's game against Utah in Boise, is three points with two games remaining.
The Oilers and Wings face-off one more time Saturday at 7:05pm on European Jersey Night at the BOK Center. Tulsa will wear special jerseys designed to look like those worn by hockey teams overseas and will feature ads from many Tulsa Oilers partners. The player-worn jerseys will be auctioned off following the game in the OneOK Lounge.
First round playoff tickets are on sale now! The Tulsa Oilers have clinched home ice advantage in the Mountain Division semifinals of the Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub. Game 1 is scheduled for Thursday, April 11 at 7:05pm at the BOK Center, followed by Game 2 Sunday, April 14 at 4:05pm at the BOK Center. Call 918-632-7825 or visit www.tulsaoilers.com to purchase playoff tickets.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram , or "Like" us on Facebook for more information about the Tulsa Oilers. 2019-20 season tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Everblades in OT in Series Finale - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Extend Winning Streak to Four in 5-1 Win at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Eliminated from Playoff Contention After Shootout Loss to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Doubling Down-ing: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Tie ECHL Home-Win Record - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Olivieri's Late Goal Not Enough as Norfolk Falls to Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Kalk, Skinner Leads Thunder to Win vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight at Home - Tulsa Oilers
- Three Unanswered in the Third Doom K-Wings on Friday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Playoff Hopes Dashed in 4-2 Loss at Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Power Play Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - Maine Mariners
- Royals One Point Back of Fourth and Final Playoff Spot with Win at Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Torpedo Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Drop Front End to Royals by 4-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with Shootout Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Fall in a Shootout in Manchester - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Playoff Hopes Fall Short in Game 70 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hudon Loaned to American Hockey League's Laval Rocket - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Ink Defenseman Hyman - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Sign Portland Winterhawks Defenseman Jared Freadrich - Orlando Solar Bears
- Eric Sweetman Loaned to AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - April 5 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Face Solar Bears to Start Regular Season's Final Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Add Defenseman Tommy Parran on ATO - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Newfoundland's O'Brien Receives 2018-19 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Nominate Connor Doherty for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, April 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- James Henry Receives 2018-2019 ECHL Community Service Award - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack's Henry Receives 2018-19 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals Are 2 Points out of Playoff Spot, Visit Thunder Friday - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Make First Visit to Tulsa - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.