Worcester Railers Nominate Connor Doherty for ECHL Community Service Award
WORCESTER, MA - The Worcester Railers Hockey Club (@RailersHC), proud ECHL (@ECHL) affiliate of the New York Islanders (@NYIslanders), and Railers HC Community Relations Coordinator Paul Harris (@paulharrisjr10) officially announced today that the club nominated Connor Doherty (@dotes28) for the ECHL's Community Service Award.
Connor Doherty has been selected as a nominee for the ECHL's Community Service Award in recognition of his commitment on being an active member of the greater Worcester community. Connor took the lead in helping the Railers make a huge difference in the Worcester community this year.
"The Worcester Railers take great pride in being a huge part of the Central Massachusetts community," said Harris. "Connor has been extremely active from day one and has led by example going above and beyond with his commitment to assisting the Railers HC community initiatives."
The second-year pro graduated from Sacred Heart University in 2017 and hails from Holden, MA.
Doherty was instrumental in participating in learn to skate and reading programs, nonprofit volunteering, event fundraising, library renovations, and booster/fan events. Some notable events that Connor participated in this season include the Friendly House Thanksgiving Food Drive, Adopt A Student Charity Golf Tournament, and the Harvey Ball.
The Worcester Railers introduced a new reading program called Ticket To Read earlier this year which Connor led the team in player reading appearances.
Doherty made the biggest contribution to the Worcester community through his efforts with the Railers flagship community program Skate to Success which brought over two thousand Worcester Public School fourth grade students to the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center where they were taught to skate by players and coaches, fed lunch from Nonna's Pizza & Pasta, and received autographed Railers folders with giveaways.
Connor quickly became a fan-favorite in Worcester and is always one of the most celebrated players in the high-five tunnel and always approachable at member events.
Adirondack's James Henry was selected as the recipient of the 2018-19 ECHL Community Service Award.
For more information about the Railers HC community programs please visit www.RailersHC.com/community.
What's on tap - FAN APPRECIATION NIGHT ON SATURDAY!
On Friday, the Railers head to Portland, ME to battle the Mariners at 7:15pm. Coverage begins at 6:50pm on 98.9 Nash Icon.
On Saturday, April 6, the Railers host the Newfoundland Growlers at 7pm on Fan Appreciation Night presented by MGM Springfield. Doors will open at 3:30pm for the Boston Bruins Alumni game to benefit Why Me. The first 3,000 fans will receive a Pawtucket Red Sox flex vouchergood for any April home game and the first 1,000 fans will receive a $2 Mass State Lottery Scratch Ticket. As with every Saturday night Railers home game, Railers player(s) will sign autographs during the first intermission presented by MidState Auto Group. There will be a ton of in-arena giveaways and prizes throughout the game. The Railers will host a jersey auction at the game through the Handbid App for the orange third jerseys with fans having the opportunity to receive the jersey right off the players back on the ice during a postgame ceremony. In addition, Railers full season members will receive 25% off all purchases on Railers merchandise at the game with your member card.
Individual tickets to a Railers game start as low as $15 by calling 508-365-1750 or visit RailersHC.com.
The Railers Tavern located behind the DCU Center provides hockey fans with a great pregame and postgame atmosphere all season long. Watch all road games broadcast live at Railers Tavern or watch on ECHLTV.com for a small fee. Listen to all Railers games live on 98.9 Nash ICON with coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop with Eric Lindquist and Tom Matthews. Full season memberships, mini plans, and group tickets are on sale now by calling the Railers front office at 508-365-1750 or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Everblades in OT in Series Finale - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Extend Winning Streak to Four in 5-1 Win at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Eliminated from Playoff Contention After Shootout Loss to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Doubling Down-ing: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Tie ECHL Home-Win Record - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Olivieri's Late Goal Not Enough as Norfolk Falls to Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Kalk, Skinner Leads Thunder to Win vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight at Home - Tulsa Oilers
- Three Unanswered in the Third Doom K-Wings on Friday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Playoff Hopes Dashed in 4-2 Loss at Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Power Play Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - Maine Mariners
- Royals One Point Back of Fourth and Final Playoff Spot with Win at Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Torpedo Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Drop Front End to Royals by 4-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with Shootout Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Fall in a Shootout in Manchester - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Playoff Hopes Fall Short in Game 70 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hudon Loaned to American Hockey League's Laval Rocket - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Ink Defenseman Hyman - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Sign Portland Winterhawks Defenseman Jared Freadrich - Orlando Solar Bears
- Eric Sweetman Loaned to AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - April 5 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Face Solar Bears to Start Regular Season's Final Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Add Defenseman Tommy Parran on ATO - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Newfoundland's O'Brien Receives 2018-19 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Nominate Connor Doherty for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, April 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- James Henry Receives 2018-2019 ECHL Community Service Award - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack's Henry Receives 2018-19 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals Are 2 Points out of Playoff Spot, Visit Thunder Friday - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Make First Visit to Tulsa - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Worcester Railers HC Add Northbridge, MA Native Dave Russell to Ticket Staff
- Worcester Railers HC Add Grafton, MA Native James McDonald to Staff
- Railers Close out Season with 5-4 Overtime Thriller in Adirondack
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers
- Railers Playoff Hopes Dashed in 4-2 Loss at Maine