Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with Shootout Win
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs clinched a playoff spot with a 3-2 shootout win over the Newfoundland Growlers on Friday night at SNHU Arena.
The Monarchs (38-29-2-2) didn't have a lead in regulation but forced their way past the Growlers (43-20-4-3) in a shootout with a 3-2 win.
The Growlers opened the scoring on the power play on the 30th goal of the season by Scott Pooley at 6:38 of the second period. Sam Jardine passed the puck to Pooley at the top of the left circle, where he wristed a shot past Monarchs goaltender Charles Williams, just ten seconds into the power play, making the score, 1-0.
The Monarchs tied the game just under six minutes later at 12:35 when Cory Ward scored his 14th goal of the season. Michael Doherty found Ward streaking towards the net, where Ward pulled the puck to his backhand and slipped the puck between the legs of Growlers goaltender Michael Garteig, to tie the game, 1-1.
The Growlers regained their one-goal lead at 14:28 of the second with a goal by Brady Ferguson. Ferguson cut through the high-slot and fired a shot off the post and in, making the score, 2-1.
The Monarchs tied the score again when Tim Shoup scored his second goal of the season at 7:53 of the third period. Shoup wristed a shot from the top of the right circle, that found its way between the pads of Garteig, to make the score, 2-2.
The game would go to a shootout, where Daniil Miromanov scored the only goal and Williams made all three stops to give the Monarchs the win and clinch a playoff berth.
The Monarchs return to action Saturday, April 6 at 6 p.m., when they take on the Maine Mariners at SNHU Arena in the final game of the regular season. To sign up for Pay As We Play playoff tickets or group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Everblades in OT in Series Finale - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Extend Winning Streak to Four in 5-1 Win at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Eliminated from Playoff Contention After Shootout Loss to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Doubling Down-ing: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Tie ECHL Home-Win Record - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Olivieri's Late Goal Not Enough as Norfolk Falls to Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Kalk, Skinner Leads Thunder to Win vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight at Home - Tulsa Oilers
- Three Unanswered in the Third Doom K-Wings on Friday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Playoff Hopes Dashed in 4-2 Loss at Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Power Play Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - Maine Mariners
- Royals One Point Back of Fourth and Final Playoff Spot with Win at Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Torpedo Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Drop Front End to Royals by 4-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with Shootout Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Fall in a Shootout in Manchester - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Playoff Hopes Fall Short in Game 70 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hudon Loaned to American Hockey League's Laval Rocket - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Ink Defenseman Hyman - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Sign Portland Winterhawks Defenseman Jared Freadrich - Orlando Solar Bears
- Eric Sweetman Loaned to AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - April 5 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Face Solar Bears to Start Regular Season's Final Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Add Defenseman Tommy Parran on ATO - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Newfoundland's O'Brien Receives 2018-19 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Nominate Connor Doherty for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, April 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- James Henry Receives 2018-2019 ECHL Community Service Award - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack's Henry Receives 2018-19 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals Are 2 Points out of Playoff Spot, Visit Thunder Friday - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Make First Visit to Tulsa - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.