Swamp Rabbits Torpedo Admirals
NORFOLK, Va. - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits took advantage of their top-flight opportunities, and trailed just once throughout regulation. Six goals on 38 shots gave the Swamp Rabbits a convincing 6-3 win over the Norfolk Admirals on Friday night at The Scope. It was Greenville's second win in a row, and Norfolk's sixth consecutive loss.
Eight combined points from the line of Stephen Pierog, Danny Perez and Brendan Harms carried the day, with Perez's two goals leading the way early.
The Swamp Rabbits trailed first and gave up the first goal thanks to an early power play. With Michael Pelech in the box for hooking, Darik Angeli took advantage on a one-timer from the left point to open the scoring.
Greenville scored three unanswered goals in response for good measure past goaltender Jeremy Brodeur, who had, up until this point, had not won an ECHL game this season. Perez and Pierog worked magic on the forecheck with hard work to cause all three goals.
The first, with work from Pierog, forced a turnover that Perez jumped on and scored with a short-side wrist shot at 5:11. Pierog returned the favor on the power play after evading traffic high in the zone and sifting to a soft area in front of the goal, as Brodeur made initial save on Harms, Pierog bashed home the rebound to establish a lead. Six minutes later, the Swamp Rabbits made the Admirals pay on a comical turnover from behind the goal, and it was Perez who was the last to touch the puck before going over the line.
While Norfolk utilized a fluky goal in the middle frame to cut the lead to one thanks to a point shot from Brandon Rumble, the Swamp Rabbits' attack was unrelenting. Tyler Bird did the work on the forecheck to get the puck to Zach Franko at the side of the net. Franko pulled the puck into a high-percentage scoring area and fired the puck home at 15:18 to keep the lead.
52 seconds later, Harms converted on a 2-on-1 break, with assists from Pierog and Perez to put the game out of reach heading into the third period.
Both teams exchanged goals in the third- one from pesky defenseman Don Olivieri late, but the Swamp Rabbits found a response of their own late in the period, with Pelech setting up a wide-open Austen Brassard in the slot for his 23rd goal of the season.
Greenville's hot shooting streak continued, after shooting 17% the night before, they shot 15.8% on Friday night to lead to the win. The Swamp Rabbits outshot the Admirals 38-35 for the game, and behind 32 saves from Garrett Bartus, picked up win 25- one better than last season- with a chance to get one more.
The 2018-19 season comes to a close on Saturday, April 6 against the Norfolk Admirals. The puck drops from The Scope at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Everblades in OT in Series Finale - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Extend Winning Streak to Four in 5-1 Win at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Eliminated from Playoff Contention After Shootout Loss to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Doubling Down-ing: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Tie ECHL Home-Win Record - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Olivieri's Late Goal Not Enough as Norfolk Falls to Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Kalk, Skinner Leads Thunder to Win vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight at Home - Tulsa Oilers
- Three Unanswered in the Third Doom K-Wings on Friday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Playoff Hopes Dashed in 4-2 Loss at Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Power Play Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - Maine Mariners
- Royals One Point Back of Fourth and Final Playoff Spot with Win at Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Torpedo Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Drop Front End to Royals by 4-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with Shootout Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Fall in a Shootout in Manchester - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers Playoff Hopes Fall Short in Game 70 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hudon Loaned to American Hockey League's Laval Rocket - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Ink Defenseman Hyman - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Sign Portland Winterhawks Defenseman Jared Freadrich - Orlando Solar Bears
- Eric Sweetman Loaned to AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - April 5 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Face Solar Bears to Start Regular Season's Final Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Add Defenseman Tommy Parran on ATO - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Brampton Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Newfoundland's O'Brien Receives 2018-19 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Nominate Connor Doherty for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, April 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- James Henry Receives 2018-2019 ECHL Community Service Award - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack's Henry Receives 2018-19 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Royals Are 2 Points out of Playoff Spot, Visit Thunder Friday - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Make First Visit to Tulsa - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Chris Carlisle Signs with Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Re-Sign Brien Diffley
- Swamp Rabbits and Local Youth Organize "Cans for Kids" Food Drive for Loaves & Fishes
- Swamp Rabbits Present Qualifying Offers to Seven
- Andrew Lord Named Head Coach of Greenville Swamp Rabbits