Syracuse Crunch Take Down Binghamton Devils, 3-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch took down the Binghamton Devils, 3-2, tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
After going down by one, Chris Mueller, Alex Barre-Boulet and Otto Somppi each tallied a power-play marker in the first period to build a two-goal lead. The Devils added one more in the second period, but it was not enough as the Crunch held them to take the victory. The win moves the Crunch to 5-2-2-0 on the season.
Scott Wedgewood stopped 25-of-27 shots between the pipes for the Crunch. Louis Domingue turned aside 27-of-30 shots in net for the Devils. Syracuse converted on 3-of-6 power-play opportunities and successfully killed all seven of Binghamton's man-advantages.
The Devils got on the board at the 5:31 mark of the first period. Egor Sharangovich dropped a pass for Fabian Zetterlund to slide past Wedgewood from the slot.
The Crunch responded with three consecutive power-play goals within five minutes. At 6:17, Alex Barre-Boulet sent a centering feed from the left wing for Chris Mueller to tip in. Just over one minute later, Conacher sent the puck across the zone for Barre-Boulet to one-time past Domingue from the right circle. Cameron Gaunce earned a point for the secondary assist.
Cal Foote collected the puck at the point and set up Somppi for the one-timer from the right circle at 10:47. Gemel Smith tallied the helper.
Binghamton added one more off a 2-on-1 rush at 1:25 in the second frame. Michael McLeod slid a circle-to-circle feed to Nathan Bastian to cash in from the right faceoff dot.
Syracuse fended off four Devils power plays in a scoreless third period to protect its 3-2 lead.
The Crunch return to action tomorrow when they travel to Hershey to take on the Bears.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster.For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.comor follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: With an assist on Alex Barre-Boulet's goal, Cory Conacher earned his 300thAHL point... Otto Somppi is on a three-game point streak (2g, 2a)... Otto Somppi has established a new career-high with five points (3g, 2a) in six games this season; he finished with four points in 27 games as a rookie last season... The Crunch last scored three power-play goals in a game on March 30, 2019 vs. Utica.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 2, 2019
- Syracuse Crunch Take Down Binghamton Devils, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Fall to Thunderbirds in Shootout, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hammond, Amerks Silence First-Place Comets - Rochester Americans
- Desrosiers Backbones Resilient T-Birds Past Penguins in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Post Game Notes: Texas 2 at San Antonio 8 - Texas Stars
- Belleville Gets by Pack in a Shootout - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wild Stunned by Rockford in 3-2 Overtime Loss - Iowa Wild
- Sens Beat Wolf Pack in a Shootout - Belleville Senators
- P-Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears, 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Berube Saves the Day in Bridgeport - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Admirals Bear-y Wolves in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Holmstrom collects first AHL goal in setback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Bounce Back to Beat Bruins 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Wolves' Winning Streak Ends at Five - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Blanked for Second Straight Night - Utica Comets
- Zetterlund and Bastian score for Devils in loss - Binghamton Devils
- Rocket Overcome Two Goal Deficits to Defeat the Marlies 6-5 in a Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Moose Hold off Griffins, 5-3 - Manitoba Moose
- Jones Reassigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Marlies in Laval for Matinee Matchup against the Rocket - Toronto Marlies
- Stockton to Score for Cure to Cancer for Next Fifteen Games - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Military Appreciation Game November 8 - Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Spencer Martin to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Heat, Roadrunners Begin Season Series Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Game 10 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sound Tigers Host Phantoms in Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Wolf Pack, November 2 - Belleville Senators
- Beaudin Fulfils NHL Dream - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, November 2, 2019 Ay Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Blue Jackets Recall Kole Sherwood, Assign Jakob Lilja to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Bruins, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Reign Pick up Point in OT Setback - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Fall 3-2 in Shootout at Stockton - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Pick up First Home Win - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Work Overtime for 3-2 Win in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Point Streak Hits Five Games After Shootout Win - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Suffer First Road Loss in 5-4 Defeat at San Diego - Colorado Eagles
- Rocket Win 2-1 in a Shootout against the Wolf Pack to Earn Their Third Consecutive Victory - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2019-20 AHL Second All-Star Team
- Syracuse Crunch Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Daniel Walcott to One-Year Contract
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Syracuse Crunch, Utica Comets, Binghamton Devils, Rochester Americans Partner with American Red Cross to Announce New York Hockey Gives Blood