Stingrays release revised schedule
North Charleston, SC The South Carolina Stingrays and the ECHL released their revised schedule today.. The 2005-06 season marks the 13th year of professional hockey in the Lowcountry. The Stingrays play a 72 game schedule, which begins on October 21 in Augusta. The team's home opener will be the following night, October 22, against the Columbia Inferno.
The league was forced to revise the schedule in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita which forced the Mississippi Sea Wolves and Texas Wildcatters to suspend operations for 2005-06. The Sea Wolves have already reopened their office and have begun preparations for 2006-07 while the Wildcatters have announced that they will reopen their offices as soon as possible looking towards next season.
The ECHL welcomes the Phoenix RoadRunners, the Stockton (California) Thunder and the Utah (Salt Lake City) Grizzlies and will play 900 games, beginning October 21 and ending April 8, with 25 teams in 14 states and British Columbia.
The revised schedule has not had a profound affect on the Stingrays home schedule with many of the same dates in place, however many opponents have changed. The team's travel schedule has been affected with the loss of trips to Mississippi and Texas.
"The ECHL League Office should be commended for the effort that they have put forth to get this schedule done in such a short period of time," commented Stingrays President Taylor Lee. "We wish Texas and Mississippi well as they begin the rebuilding process for next season."
The Stingrays have increased the number of weekend dates to 26 this season, up from 22 a year ago. This year's slate will feature four Sunday afternoon "Kid's Day" games, that will begin at 3:00 PM and feature children's characters, jump castles, entertainment and more.
"We had great success with our Kid's Day Sundays last season," commented team President Taylor Lee. "This year we have added two more Sundays. We plan to focus a lot of our energy into making those dates perfect for our young fans and their families."
South Carolina will be at home once again for New Years Eve, when they host the Augusta Lynx at 6:00.
The puck drops on all Stingrays home games, except Sunday and New Year's Eve, at 7:05.
The Stingrays have been busy in the off season selling a variety of season ticket packages starting under $60. Group tickets are also available by contacting the Stingrays office at 744-2248, or by logging on to www.stingrayshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 7, 2005
- Aces REVISED Final Schedule--only ROAD games affected - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Announces Revised 2005-06 Schedule - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder, ECHL Announce Schedule Change - Stockton Thunder
- Luke Fulghum Assogned by Toronto - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Las Vegas Training Camp Roster Swells to 22 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Announce Training camp Roster - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder Announces Training Camp Roster - Stockton Thunder
- Titans, ECHL announce revised 2005-2006 schedule - Trenton Devils
- Checkers pick up three from Wolf Pack - Charlotte Checkers
- RoadRunners, ECHL Release Revised 2005-06 Schedule - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Checkers announce final schedule - Charlotte Checkers
- Steelheads announce revised schedule - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades sign final two, Training Camp roster set - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Ice Pilots Season Opener vs Greenville Friday, October 21 - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- ECHL Preseason Games Begin Wednesday - ECHL
- Grrrowl release revised schedule - Greenville Grrrowl
- Revised Schedule Released - Johnstown Chiefs
- Salmon Kings travel to Powell River to take on the Regals in exhibition - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Storm Announce 2005-06 Schedule Revision - Toledo Walleye
- Hurricanes Change Grizzlies, ECHL Schedules - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL releases final 05-06 schedule - Augusta Lynx
- Camp Patrick Day 1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Home Schedule Finalized - Wheeling Nailers
- Condors Get Ready for Open House This Sunday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Releases Revised Schedule - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gulls announce revised schedule - San Diego Gulls
- 2005-06 ECHL Schedule - ECHL
- Royals make slight changes in schedule - Reading Royals
- Naumenko recalled as Bombers open training camp - Dayton Bombers
- Stingrays release revised schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hurricanes cause schedule change for Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Everblades release new regular season schedule - Florida Everblades
- ECHL opens 18th season October 21 - ECHL
- WTSR 91.3FM and WBCB 1490AM to air Titan games - Trenton Devils
- Titans announce training camp roster - Trenton Devils
- Gulls announce training camp roster - San Diego Gulls
- ECHL announces hurricane relief program - ECHL
- Texas Wildcatters granted voluntary suspension - San Diego Gulls
- Grizzlies add high scoring rookie Matt Craig - Utah Grizzlies
- Gomez one of four added to Stingrays roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Kowalski recalled to Lowell - Florida Everblades
- Storm announce training camp schedule - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL teams with Salvation Army for relief campaign - Augusta Lynx
- The boys are back in town - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.