Checkers pick up three from Wolf Pack
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Hartford Wolf Pack reassigned three players to the Charlotte Checkers today, including two veteran players. Forwards Brandon Cullen and Ryan Cuthbert return to the Checkers while forward Rick Kozak enters his first year with the Checkers.
Brandon Cullen, a 6-foot, 212-pound right winger, returns to the Checkers for his fourth season. Last year he appeared in 14 games for the Checkers tallying five points (2g, 3a) and 48 penalty minutes.
Cullen, 24, registered a career-high 202 penalty minutes in his first season with the Checkers in 2002-03. A native of St. Catharines, Ontario, he spent 25 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL during the 2003-04 season recording two goals, one assist and 51 penalty minutes.
Ryan Cuthbert, a 5-foot-10-inch, 193-pound winger, returns for his third season with the Checkers. In 2004-05, the 23-year-old helped the Checkers advance to the American Conference finals registering five points (2g, 3a) and 14 penalty minutes during 15 playoff games.
Cuthbert, a native of Swift Current, Saskatchewan, skated in 25 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) over the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons. He also played in seven playoff games with Hartford during the 2003-04 season scoring two points (1g, 1a) and recording 14 penalty minutes.
Rick Kozak, a 6-foot-2-inch, 190-pound right winger, was drafted in the third round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft by the Philadelphia Flyers (95th pick overall). The 20-year-old from Norway House, Manitoba played three seasons in the WHL from 2002-05 and also skated in two games with the Hartford Wolf Pack during the 2003-04 season.
Last season with the Prince Albert Raiders (WHL), Kozak recorded 24 points (11g, 13a) and 152 penalty minutes in 39 games. In 17 playoff games with the Raiders last season, he registered nine points (6g, 3a) and 58 penalty minutes.
The Checkers also added to the training camp roster by inviting goalie Pat Berrigan and forwards Luke Stauffacher and Gerad Cioffi to camp.
The Checkers continue training camp tomorrow at Pineville Ice House from 8:30 to 9:30 am.
About the Charlotte Checkers
The Charlotte Checkers open their 13th season in the ECHL Friday, October 21st at Gwinnett. The Checkers are Bound for Uptown as they will take the St. Lawrence Homes Home Ice at Charlotte Bobcats Arena for the first time Sunday, November 6th against Greenville Grrrowl. Season ticket packages and mini plans are on sale now. To purchase tickets, contact the Charlotte Checkers Ticket Office at 704.342.4ICE (4423). For a complete schedule of games and promotions, log onto www.gocheckers.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 7, 2005
- Aces REVISED Final Schedule--only ROAD games affected - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Announces Revised 2005-06 Schedule - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder, ECHL Announce Schedule Change - Stockton Thunder
- Luke Fulghum Assogned by Toronto - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Las Vegas Training Camp Roster Swells to 22 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Announce Training camp Roster - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder Announces Training Camp Roster - Stockton Thunder
- Titans, ECHL announce revised 2005-2006 schedule - Trenton Devils
- Checkers pick up three from Wolf Pack - Charlotte Checkers
- RoadRunners, ECHL Release Revised 2005-06 Schedule - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Checkers announce final schedule - Charlotte Checkers
- Steelheads announce revised schedule - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades sign final two, Training Camp roster set - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Ice Pilots Season Opener vs Greenville Friday, October 21 - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- ECHL Preseason Games Begin Wednesday - ECHL
- Grrrowl release revised schedule - Greenville Grrrowl
- Revised Schedule Released - Johnstown Chiefs
- Salmon Kings travel to Powell River to take on the Regals in exhibition - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Storm Announce 2005-06 Schedule Revision - Toledo Walleye
- Hurricanes Change Grizzlies, ECHL Schedules - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL releases final 05-06 schedule - Augusta Lynx
- Camp Patrick Day 1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Home Schedule Finalized - Wheeling Nailers
- Condors Get Ready for Open House This Sunday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Releases Revised Schedule - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gulls announce revised schedule - San Diego Gulls
- 2005-06 ECHL Schedule - ECHL
- Royals make slight changes in schedule - Reading Royals
- Naumenko recalled as Bombers open training camp - Dayton Bombers
- Stingrays release revised schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hurricanes cause schedule change for Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Everblades release new regular season schedule - Florida Everblades
- ECHL opens 18th season October 21 - ECHL
- WTSR 91.3FM and WBCB 1490AM to air Titan games - Trenton Devils
- Titans announce training camp roster - Trenton Devils
- Gulls announce training camp roster - San Diego Gulls
- ECHL announces hurricane relief program - ECHL
- Texas Wildcatters granted voluntary suspension - San Diego Gulls
- Grizzlies add high scoring rookie Matt Craig - Utah Grizzlies
- Gomez one of four added to Stingrays roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Kowalski recalled to Lowell - Florida Everblades
- Storm announce training camp schedule - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL teams with Salvation Army for relief campaign - Augusta Lynx
- The boys are back in town - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.