Sounds Split Doubleheader on Easter
NASHVILLE - The Sounds beat the San Antonio Missions in game one 3-1 and lost game two 6-0 in front of 8821 fans at First Tennessee Park Sunday.
Both teams stayed scoreless in game one through the fourth inning. San Antonio threatened for the first time in the top half with runners on first and third base with one out. Nashville's starter Ariel Jurado managed to get out of the inning with an inning ending double play.
The Missions scored the first run of the game when Mauricio Dubon hit an RBI double to score Nate Orf. Dubon tried scoring on a single by Cory Spangenberg but Zack Granite threw Orf out at the plate to keep the score 1-0.
Nashville came back to take the lead in the bottom of the fifth. Nolan Fontana led off with a walk who was then hit in on a Jose Trevino home run. Zack Granite hit a single after that and he scored on a Carlos Tocci double. That put the score at 3-1 and gave the Sounds the win in game one.
San Antonio scored first again in game two in the top of the second inning. Lucas Erceg hit a single, Jake Hager walked and David Freitas singled to load the bases. Tuffy Gosewisch walked to score Erceg and Nate Orf was hit-by-a-pitch to score Hager. Keston Hiura hit a sacrifice fly to plate Frietas and Tyrone Taylor completed the parade with an RBI single to make the game 4-0.
The Sounds allowed one more run in the third inning when Gosewisch hit a single to score Erceg to make it 5-0.
Jake Hager capped the Missions' day with a solo homer in the top of the seventh. It was all San Antonio needed as Nashville couldn't score to finalize the 6-0 ballgame. The Missions allowed just one hit in game two between starter Thomas Jankins and relievers Josh Fields and Taylor Williams.
The series finale against San Antonio is tomorrow night with first pitch at 6:35 p.m. Right-hander Richelson Pena (1-2, 4.82) will start for Nashville and will face Missions' right-hander Corbin Burnes (0-0, ---).
With today's 3-1 win and 5-0 loss, the Sounds are now 5-12 on the season.
Sounds' starting pitcher Ariel Jurado earned his third win of the season and is now tied for the Pacific Coast League lead.
Jose Trevino hit his first career Triple-A home run in game one.
Phillips Valdez pitched 1.0 inning in relief after starting Thursday's postponed game, where he threw 2.0 innings.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2019
- Crawford Extends Streak, Curletta Goes Yard But Rainiers Drop Third-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Cats Power Past Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Late Sacramento Rally Sinks Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Jankins Leads Missions Staff in Shutout Effort - San Antonio Missions
- Beede shuts down Bees for River Catsâ?? third straight win - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Split Doubleheader on Easter - Nashville Sounds
- Snyder and Grizzlies outslug Aviators 9-8 Sunday afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sosa Wins It for Redbirds in 10th - Memphis Redbirds
- Nunez's Three-Homer Game Ignites Isotopes to Historic 23-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edged by Redbirds in 10th Inning Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Naylor, France Connect on Pair of Back-to-Back Shots to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso's Big Dogs Go Back-To-Back Two Times in Win over Aces - Reno Aces
- I-Cubs Win Third Straight at Bricktown - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Homer Way to 8-3 Win in OKC Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Blewett Fans 10, Chasers Fall 4-3 in New Orleans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Blanks Omaha 10-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cakes Offense Erupts as Beggs Blanks Omaha in Triple-A Debut - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (4-11) vs. San Antonio Missions (8-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (8-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-6) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies home run streak ends in 11-0 loss to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- Home run barrage lifts River Cats over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Crush Reno, 12-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Collects Four Hits But Rainiers Fall in Second-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Bats Remain Hot in 12-4 Win over Tacoma - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Group Outings for 2020 Season On-Sale Now
- Sounds to Host Texas Rangers Winter Caravan at Ole Smoky Distillery & Yee-Haw Brewing Co. at 6th and Peabody on January 29
- Nashville Sounds Foundation Now Accepting Applications for 2020 Scholarship Program
- Sounds Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Nashville Sounds Named Baseball America's Triple-A Freitas Award Winner