Jankins Leads Missions Staff in Shutout Effort
NASHVILLE - Thomas Jankins tossed five scoreless innings of one-hit ball to lead the Missions to a 6-0 whitewash of the Sounds and a split of their Sunday afternoon double header at First Tennessee Park.
Jankins combined with Josh Fields and Taylor Williams on a one-hitter as San Antonio (9-8) registered its first shutout of the season.
Nashville's only hit was a clean first-inning double off the bat of Eli White.
The Missions scored four times in the second inning to chase Sounds starter Wes Benjamin.
Nashville's Ariel Jurado handcuffed the Missions in the opener as the Sounds pulled out a 3-1 win.
Zack Brown (0-2) permitted all three runs in the fifth inning, two on a homerun off the bat of Jose Trevino, who entered the game hitting .162 with one RBI. Up to that point, Brown had retired 11 of 12 hitters heading into the frame before walking Nolan Fontana to begin the inning, which immediately preceded Trevino's at-bat.
Lucas Erceg had two hits and a walk between the two games, extending his hitting streak to six games while also increasing his on-base streak to a dozen games.
The Missions road trips wraps up Monday night in the series finale in Nashville.
RH Corbin Burnes (0-0, ---) vs. RH Richelson Pena (1-2, 4.82) 6:35 PM
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2019
- Crawford Extends Streak, Curletta Goes Yard But Rainiers Drop Third-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Cats Power Past Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Late Sacramento Rally Sinks Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Jankins Leads Missions Staff in Shutout Effort - San Antonio Missions
- Beede shuts down Bees for River Catsâ?? third straight win - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Split Doubleheader on Easter - Nashville Sounds
- Snyder and Grizzlies outslug Aviators 9-8 Sunday afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sosa Wins It for Redbirds in 10th - Memphis Redbirds
- Nunez's Three-Homer Game Ignites Isotopes to Historic 23-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edged by Redbirds in 10th Inning Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Naylor, France Connect on Pair of Back-to-Back Shots to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso's Big Dogs Go Back-To-Back Two Times in Win over Aces - Reno Aces
- I-Cubs Win Third Straight at Bricktown - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Homer Way to 8-3 Win in OKC Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Blewett Fans 10, Chasers Fall 4-3 in New Orleans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Blanks Omaha 10-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cakes Offense Erupts as Beggs Blanks Omaha in Triple-A Debut - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (4-11) vs. San Antonio Missions (8-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (8-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-6) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies home run streak ends in 11-0 loss to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- Home run barrage lifts River Cats over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Crush Reno, 12-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Collects Four Hits But Rainiers Fall in Second-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Bats Remain Hot in 12-4 Win over Tacoma - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- San Antonio Missions Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- San Antonio Missions Announce 2020 Schedule
- Former Missions Outfielder Trent Grisham Named Milwaukee Brewers Minor League Player of the Year
- 2019 Season Review
- Sorting out Bittersweet Memories