Cakes Offense Erupts as Beggs Blanks Omaha in Triple-A Debut
Monte Harrison reached base five times, Isan Diaz drove in four runs, and Austin Dean and Peter O'Brien homered to power a 10-run, 13-hit attack, and Dustin Beggs struck out seven across seven shutout innings in his Triple-A debut as New Orleans blanked the Omaha Storm Chasers, 10-0.
Harrison gave the 'Cakes a quick lead with a leadoff single, then stole second and scored on a sinking liner to right by Diaz. Harrison added singles in the third and seventh innings, and walked in the fifth and eighth to give him seven consecutive plate appearances reaching base, dating back to Saturday's game.
In his first game since being optioned from Miami, Dean led off the bottom of the fourth with a home run to left field estimated to travel 408 feet. That gave New Orleans a 2-0 lead, which proved to be enough for Beggs.
The right-hander worked around six Omaha singles in the first three innings to keep the Storm Chasers off the board, including an escape of a bases loaded, none out jam in the second. He settled in to retire 10 in a row at one point, and allowed only one hit over his final four frames.
Beggs (1-0) struck out seven and did not issue a walk.
The Baby Cakes broke the game open with a five-run seventh inning, highlighted by Diaz's RBI double off the wall in right-center, and OBrien's towering three-run homer. His second home run of the series was marked as traveling 435 feet.
Harold Ramirez added two doubles on the afternoon, as the top five hitters in the New Orleans lineup combined to go 12-for-20.
Jonathan Dziedzic (0-2) gave up two runs in five innings to take the loss.
Back above .500 for the first time since April 6, the 'Cakes wrap up the homestand on Monday at 6:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2019
- Crawford Extends Streak, Curletta Goes Yard But Rainiers Drop Third-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Cats Power Past Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Late Sacramento Rally Sinks Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Jankins Leads Missions Staff in Shutout Effort - San Antonio Missions
- Beede shuts down Bees for River Catsâ?? third straight win - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Split Doubleheader on Easter - Nashville Sounds
- Snyder and Grizzlies outslug Aviators 9-8 Sunday afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sosa Wins It for Redbirds in 10th - Memphis Redbirds
- Nunez's Three-Homer Game Ignites Isotopes to Historic 23-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edged by Redbirds in 10th Inning Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Naylor, France Connect on Pair of Back-to-Back Shots to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso's Big Dogs Go Back-To-Back Two Times in Win over Aces - Reno Aces
- I-Cubs Win Third Straight at Bricktown - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Homer Way to 8-3 Win in OKC Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Blewett Fans 10, Chasers Fall 4-3 in New Orleans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Blanks Omaha 10-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cakes Offense Erupts as Beggs Blanks Omaha in Triple-A Debut - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (4-11) vs. San Antonio Missions (8-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (8-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-6) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies home run streak ends in 11-0 loss to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- Home run barrage lifts River Cats over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Crush Reno, 12-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Collects Four Hits But Rainiers Fall in Second-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Bats Remain Hot in 12-4 Win over Tacoma - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.