Redbirds Roll Behind Seven-Run Seventh
The Memphis Redbirds scored seven runs in the seventh inning to pull away from the New Orleans Baby Cakes, 11-3 on Wednesday night.
Memphis got off to a fast start as the first four batters of the game reached against Kolton Mahoney, who was making his third Triple-A start. Justin Williams put the Redbirds on top with an RBI single, and Andrew Knizner added a sacrifice fly.
Three more singles in the second inning, capped by Rangel Ravelo's run-scoring knock, pushed the Redbirds' lead to 3-0. Knizner drilled his 12th home run of the year an inning later, a solo shot to provide Memphis with a four-run cushion.
The 'Cakes sliced the deficit in half in the bottom of the fourth, stringing together four hits to plate a pair of runs. Rosell Hererra led off with a ground-rule double and scored on Eddy Alvarez's one-out single. Alvarez, who improved to 15-for-32 on the year with runners in scoring position and less than two outs, trotted home on a single by Wilkin Castillo.
The Redbirds batted around against rehabbing Marlins pitchers Tayron Guerrero and Jose Urena in the seven-run seventh. Adolis Garcia drove in the first run of the frame with a single ahead of a two-run double by Ramon Urias. The inning unraveled when Alvarez dropped a pop up on the infield to allow one run to score, and a throwing error by Herrera permitted a second run to come home on the play.
Chris Ellis (5-5) went five innings in a spot start to pick up the win for Memphis, which stayed alive in its bid for a playoff berth.
Mahoney (1-1) was charged with four runs in five innings to suffer the loss.
The Baby Cakes play their final home game of the 2019 season on Thursday. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Missions Top Express 14-8 as Comeback Stalls - Round Rock Express
- Three-Run Ninth Inning Lifts Cubs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Victory Drops Magic Number to One - Iowa Cubs
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Power Past Storm Chasers - Nashville Sounds
- Seven-Run Seventh Helps Memphis to 11-3 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Roll Behind Seven-Run Seventh - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Ty France Named PCL Rookie of the Year - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (61-71) at Omaha Storm Chasers (57-76) - Nashville Sounds
- Al Sandoval Named Pacific Coast League Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators Host Tacoma from August 30 - Sept 2; PCL Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (66-68) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (70-62) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 28, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Takes Home Rookie of the Year Award - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - at Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Bees Can't Complete Comeback - Salt Lake Bees
- Makynlee Culbertson to Celebrate "Home Run for Lifeâ? with OKC Dodgers Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Falling Short in a Heartbreaker - San Antonio Missions
- Chihuahuas Get within Two of First - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats' comeback falls just short against Aces - Sacramento River Cats
- Tacos stifled by Taco-ma on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Hagens Shines in Reno Victory - Reno Aces
- Nolin, Rainiers Edge Fresno to End Six-Game Losing Streak - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Break Team's Single-Season Home Run Record in Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edge Missions 4-3 to Increase Division Lead - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.