Iowa Victory Drops Magic Number to One
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - Iowa's magic number fell to one as a three-run ninth inning lifted the I-Cubs (72-63) to a 7-4 triumph over the Oklahoma City Dodgers (60-74), Wednesday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Adbert Alzolay got it done on both sides of the ball as he spun 4.0 no-hit innings and knocked in the game's first run in the second with his first professional hit. Alzolay walked two and whiffed five in the outing.
Meanwhile, three-straight singles by Daniel Descalso, Phillip Evans and Mark Zagunis doubled Iowa's edge in the third. Robel Garcia and P.J. Higgins drew consecutive walks to load the bags and push in a run with no outs, but Iowa couldn't manage more damage. Chris Nunn inherited the jam from Daniel Corcino and worked out of the sticky situation by striking out the side.
Zagunis manufactured another run for Iowa with a walk to lead off the seventh. The outfielder moved to second on a groundout, swiped third and later scored on a Trent Giambrone base-knock.
Iowa pitching kept the team in the lead until the eighth as Alex Wilson, Randy Rosario and Dakota Mekkes shut down Oklahoma City. After claiming just one hit through the first seven frames, the Dodgers roused their offense. An Edwin Rios grand slam off Mekkes locked the game 4-4 heading into the final frame.
The I-Cubs didn't falter as Giambrone took back the edge for Iowa with an RBI double, before a two-run Dixon Machado blast gave Iowa insurance. Dillon Maples nabbed the last three outs to close the door and earn his seventh save of the season.
- P.J. Higgins set a career high with four walks. Iowa walked 12 times to match a season high.
- Dillon Maples has spun 11.0 scoreless frames over eight appearances for Iowa. He has four walks and 19 strikeouts through this span.
Iowa and Oklahoma City finish the series with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Thursday. The I-Cubs return to Principal Park Friday for the final four home games of the season. On Aug. 30, Iowa will become the Caucuses to celebrate Iowa's "First in the Nation" status during presidential elections. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Missions Top Express 14-8 as Comeback Stalls - Round Rock Express
- Three-Run Ninth Inning Lifts Cubs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Victory Drops Magic Number to One - Iowa Cubs
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Power Past Storm Chasers - Nashville Sounds
- Seven-Run Seventh Helps Memphis to 11-3 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Roll Behind Seven-Run Seventh - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Ty France Named PCL Rookie of the Year - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (61-71) at Omaha Storm Chasers (57-76) - Nashville Sounds
- Al Sandoval Named Pacific Coast League Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators Host Tacoma from August 30 - Sept 2; PCL Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (66-68) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (70-62) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 28, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Takes Home Rookie of the Year Award - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - at Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Bees Can't Complete Comeback - Salt Lake Bees
- Makynlee Culbertson to Celebrate "Home Run for Lifeâ? with OKC Dodgers Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Falling Short in a Heartbreaker - San Antonio Missions
- Chihuahuas Get within Two of First - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats' comeback falls just short against Aces - Sacramento River Cats
- Tacos stifled by Taco-ma on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Hagens Shines in Reno Victory - Reno Aces
- Nolin, Rainiers Edge Fresno to End Six-Game Losing Streak - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Break Team's Single-Season Home Run Record in Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edge Missions 4-3 to Increase Division Lead - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.