Express Edge Missions 4-3 to Increase Division Lead
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (81-53) rode a dominant start by LHP Kent Emanuel (8-2, 3.90) to a 4-3 victory over the San Antonio Missions (78-56) on Tuesday night at Dell Diamond, increasing their lead in the Pacific Coast League's American Southern Division to three games with just six left to play.
Emanuel was lights out in his 8.0 innings of work, blanking the Missions on just one hit while striking out six. The southpaw retired the final 21 batters he faced in the convincing victory. On the losing side, San Antonio RHP Thomas Jankins (10-5, 4.38) allowed all four Round Rock runs on five hits in 4.2 innings.
Following a pair of scoreless innings to open the game, Round Rock broke through with a three-run third. C Jamie Ritchie kicked off the frame with a single before SS Alex De Goti worked a walk. RF Chas McCormick then kept his bat red-hot with a two-run single, giving the E-Train a quick 2-0 edge. The inning continued as 2B Jack Mayfield sent McCormick home with a single of his own to pad the gap to 3-0.
In the fifth, Express DH Garrett Stubbs, CF Myles Straw and Mayfield combined for a trio of singles, the latest of which scored a run to give Round Rock a 4-0 edge.
Following Emanuel's eight-inning gem, San Antonio attempted a late comeback off Round Rock's bullpen in the ninth. With E-Train RHP Ronel Blanco on in relief, Missions SS Jake Hager singled prior to a Tuffy Gosewisch double that left a pair of runners in scoring position. An ensuing Ben Gamel walk loaded the bases. 1B Tyler Austin then lined an RBI double to left field to put the Missions on the board.
Express RHP Cy Sneed was called on to relieve Blanco, allowing a sacrifice fly to 3B Travis Shaw that pulled San Antonio within 4-2. A two-out RBI single off the bat of DH David Freitas trimmed the gap to one, but Sneed recovered to strike out 2B Nate Orf to end the game and preserve the 4-3 win for the Express.
Round Rock goes for a series victory over San Antonio on Wednesday night. The penultimate home game of the 2019 regular season is set to feature Express LHP Ryan Hartman (6-6, 5.33) up against Missions RHP Aaron Wilkerson (8-2, 3.34). First pitch at Dell Diamond is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Missions Top Express 14-8 as Comeback Stalls - Round Rock Express
- Three-Run Ninth Inning Lifts Cubs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Victory Drops Magic Number to One - Iowa Cubs
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Power Past Storm Chasers - Nashville Sounds
- Seven-Run Seventh Helps Memphis to 11-3 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Roll Behind Seven-Run Seventh - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Ty France Named PCL Rookie of the Year - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (61-71) at Omaha Storm Chasers (57-76) - Nashville Sounds
- Al Sandoval Named Pacific Coast League Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators Host Tacoma from August 30 - Sept 2; PCL Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (66-68) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (70-62) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 28, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Takes Home Rookie of the Year Award - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - at Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Bees Can't Complete Comeback - Salt Lake Bees
- Makynlee Culbertson to Celebrate "Home Run for Lifeâ? with OKC Dodgers Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Falling Short in a Heartbreaker - San Antonio Missions
- Chihuahuas Get within Two of First - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats' comeback falls just short against Aces - Sacramento River Cats
- Tacos stifled by Taco-ma on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Hagens Shines in Reno Victory - Reno Aces
- Nolin, Rainiers Edge Fresno to End Six-Game Losing Streak - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Break Team's Single-Season Home Run Record in Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edge Missions 4-3 to Increase Division Lead - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express to Host "Kicks and Tricks" Kickball Tournament
- Rodeo Austin to Host New Event with Round Rock Express
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched