Nolin, Rainiers Edge Fresno to End Six-Game Losing Streak
Fresno, CA - Sean Nolin turned in his third strong start against Fresno this season, as the lefty pitched seven scoreless innings en route to a 4-1 Tacoma Rainiers victory against the Grizzlies on Tuesday at Chukchansi Park.
Nolin allowed just two hits and one walk while striking out six Grizzlies. In three starts against Fresno this season, the 29-year-old is 3-0 with a 0.90 ERA (2 ER, 20 IP).
The Rainiers put runs on the board first, starting the scoring in the first inning. Tacoma got an RBI single from John Andreoli, scoring Braden Bishop from second base.
The Grizzlies failed to drive in any runs before the Rainiers built on their lead in the fourth inning. Jaycob Brugman's run-scoring single highlighted a two-run output in the frame for Tacoma, bringing the score to 3-0 in favor of the Rainiers.
Tacoma held Fresno scoreless before building their lead to 4-0 in the eighth inning. The Rainiers picked up a run when Eric Filia scored on a sacrifice fly from Ryan Court.
The Rainiers gave up one Fresno run over the rest of the game, and Matt Carasiti left the bases loaded in the ninth inning to cap the victory and record his fourth save.
Offensively, Tacoma was paced by Brugman, who went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI. His two hits improve his batting average to .280 this season. Andreoli compiled a standout effort as well, going 3-for-4 with an RBI, improving his 2019 batting average to .283. Filia also chipped in for the Rainiers, going 2-for-4 with a double.
Zac Grotz was excellent out of the bullpen as well in his season debut for the Rainiers, throwing one shutout inning while limiting Fresno to one hit, walking none and striking out one.
As a collective, Tacoma scored their four runs on eight hits, three of which went for extra bases. The Rainiers managed their offensive output without much extra help from Fresno pitchers, who didn't issue a walk.
The Rainiers and Grizzlies will continue their four-game series on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. when right-hander Andrew Moore takes the mound. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found on WeRTacoma.com, or by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers) and by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Tacoma Rainiers pitcher Sean Nolin
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Missions Top Express 14-8 as Comeback Stalls - Round Rock Express
- Three-Run Ninth Inning Lifts Cubs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Victory Drops Magic Number to One - Iowa Cubs
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Power Past Storm Chasers - Nashville Sounds
- Seven-Run Seventh Helps Memphis to 11-3 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Roll Behind Seven-Run Seventh - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Ty France Named PCL Rookie of the Year - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (61-71) at Omaha Storm Chasers (57-76) - Nashville Sounds
- Al Sandoval Named Pacific Coast League Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators Host Tacoma from August 30 - Sept 2; PCL Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (66-68) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (70-62) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 28, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso's France Takes Home Rookie of the Year Award - PCL
- Reno Aces Game Notes - at Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Bees Can't Complete Comeback - Salt Lake Bees
- Makynlee Culbertson to Celebrate "Home Run for Lifeâ? with OKC Dodgers Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Falling Short in a Heartbreaker - San Antonio Missions
- Chihuahuas Get within Two of First - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats' comeback falls just short against Aces - Sacramento River Cats
- Tacos stifled by Taco-ma on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Hagens Shines in Reno Victory - Reno Aces
- Nolin, Rainiers Edge Fresno to End Six-Game Losing Streak - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Break Team's Single-Season Home Run Record in Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edge Missions 4-3 to Increase Division Lead - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Rainiers Among Minor League Baseball's Top-25 in Merchandise Sales for Fifth-Straight Year
- Rainiers Giving Tacoma a Taste of Baseball with "Cheneyville Grab N' Go" Drive-Thru
- Seattle Mariners to Utilize Cheney Stadium for "Taxi Squad" Practices, Simulated Games Beginning July 27
- Tacoma Rainiers Statement Regarding Cancelation of 2020 Minor League Baseball Season
- Tacoma Rainiers Hosting Virtual Watch Party for Annual 3rd of July Fireworks Show