OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 21, 2019
Iowa Cubs (10-6) vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers (6-10)
Game #17 of 140/Home #11 of 70 (3-7)
Pitching Probables: IOW-RHP Duncan Robinson (0-1, 6.14) vs. OKC-RHP Brock Stewart (0-0, 2.84)
Sunday, April 21, 2019 | Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark | Oklahoma City, Okla. | 2:05 p.m. CT
Radio: KGHM AM-1340 The Game, 1340thegame.com, iHeartRadio - Alex Freedman
Today's Game: The OKC Dodgers and Iowa Cubs continue their four-game series with a 2:05 p.m. game on a Chaparral Energy Family Sunday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. The Dodgers have lost a season-high four straight games.
Last Game: A five-run fourth inning by Iowa broke open Saturday night's game in an eventual 11-1 win against Oklahoma City at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. Iowa took a quick lead when Johnny Field hit a solo homer out to right field in the first inning in front of a sellout crowd of 10,351. A five-run fourth inning pushed Iowa to a 6-0 lead. Iowa put two runners on base via an Oklahoma City throwing error and a single before Trent Giambrone belted a three-run homer over the LED board in left field for a 4-0 Iowa advantage. A two run-double by Dixon Machado later pushed Iowa's lead to 6-0. Iowa's lead grew with three more runs in the sixth inning. The Cubs drew three straight walks with one out to load the bases before Dodgers pitcher Joe Broussard threw a wild pitch, allowing a run to score for a 7-0 advantage. A RBI groundout by Field extended Iowa's lead before a RBI single by Ian Happ gave the Cubs a 9-0 edge. The Dodgers scored their first and only run in the sixth inning. Matt Beaty was hit by a pitch and later scored on a groundout by Connor Joe. Iowa loaded the bases in the top of the eighth inning with none out before bringing home runs on a single by Field and a wild pitch by JT Chargois. Reliever Ryan Williams (1-0) was credited with the win for Iowa. OKC starting pitcher Rob Zastryzny (0-1) was charged with the loss, allowing eight runs (five earned) and six hits over 5.1 innings.
Today's Probable Pitcher: Brock Stewart (0-0) makes his third start of the season tonight...Stewart last pitched against Omaha April 16 in Oklahoma City, holding the Storm Chasers to one run and four hits over 4.0 innings with three walks and three strikeouts. Although the Storm Chasers put at least two runners on base each inning, Stewart limited Omaha 1-for-11 with runners on base...Earlier this season, Stewart made his first career Major League Opening Day roster and appeared in three games for the LA Dodgers before being optioned to OKC April 7. Over a combined 4.0 innings of relief against Arizona and Colorado, he allowed eight runs and nine hits with two walks and three strikeouts...Last season with OKC, Stewart tied with Daniel Corcino for the most starts (19) and ranked third on the team in strikeouts (80) and innings pitched (96.1), while posting a 2.99 ERA and 3-3 record...Stewart was selected by the Dodgers in the sixth round of the 2014 MLB Draft from Illinois State University and was named the Dodgers' 2016 Branch Rickey Minor League Pitcher of the Year...Stewart has made five career starts against the I-Cubs, and he's allowed just two runs over 19.1 innings while holding Iowa to a .183 batting average. Last season, he allowed two runs and nine hits over 13.1 innings with six walks and 19 strikeouts.
Against the I-Cubs: 2019: 2-4 2018: 11-5 All-time: 153-154 At OKC: 81-71
The Dodgers and Cubs meet for their second series in a week...The Dodgers split a four-game series at Iowa April 13-15, with Oklahoma City winning the first and last meetings of the series. Will Smith collected four hits, four RBI, scored five runs, doubled and hit two homers over the four-game set...The Dodgers won the 2018 series, 11-5, winning 10 of the first 12 meetings before Iowa took three of four during the final series of the season Aug. 28-30 at Iowa...OKC outscored the Cubs, 64-43, last season. Dodgers pitchers recorded a combined 2.26 ERA and held Iowa to less than three runs in half of their meetings...The Dodgers have won the last two season series against Iowa, as well as three of the last four with the I-Cubs...By taking the first two games of the current series, the I-Cubs have already exceeded their win total from last year at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. They've scored 21 runs after plating a total of 20 runs over their eight games in OKC last season.
In Need of a Resurrection: The Dodgers have lost a season-high four straight games and are four games below .500 at any point for the first time in the OKC Dodgers era (since 2015). In fact, Oklahoma City is four games below .500 for the first time since the end of the 2011 season when the RedHawks finished with a 68-75 record...OKC is 6-10 overall this season, and this is the quickest the team has reached 10 losses since 2011 when the RedHawks started the season 4-10. Last year, the team didn't lose its 10th game until Game 34 (May 12)...During the current losing skid, the Dodgers have been outscored, 34-13, and they have not held a lead in 30 straight innings entering today's game.
Eddie Money: Edwin Ríos is celebrating his 25th birthday today. He was kept quiet at the plate last night, but he has hit safely in four of his last five games, going 8-for-23 with six RBI, six runs scored, a double and two home runs while recording three multi-hit games. His 16 total hits this season are tied for most on the team, while his nine RBI and seven runs scored each rank second.
On Strike: The Dodgers' pitching staff added eight more strikeouts to its season total Saturday and paces the PCL American Conference with 160 K's in 135.0 innings. Tacoma leads the PCL with 165 strikeouts and Sacramento ranks second with 161 K's, but those teams have pitched 14.0 more innings and 9.0 more innings than the Dodgers, respectively...The Dodgers established the PCL single-season record for strikeouts in both 2016 and 2017, with 1,245 and 1,277 K's, respectively. However, Fresno bested both of those totals last season with 1,330 K's.
Dan the Man: Daniel Castro did not play Saturday night, but extended his current hit streak to seven games (10x30) with a single Friday night. His streak is tied with Matt Beaty for the longest by a Dodger so far this season, and he is tied with Beaty and Edwin Ríos for the team lead with 16 hits...Castro's three stolen bases this season equal his stolen base total from the previous two seasons combined.
Tough Sledding: Over the last six games, the OKC pitching staff has allowed a total of 51 runs while opponents have batted .313 (71x227) with 31 extra-base hits, including 11 home runs. During that stretch, the team has a 7.67 ERA (46 ER/54.0 IP) and 1.92 WHIP (71 H + 33 BB/54.0 IP). Opponents have had at least 12 at-bats with runners in scoring position each game, totaling 86 AB with RISP (20x86)...The team has allowed at least five runs in each game for the first time since June 28-July 3, 2017. OKC has not allowed five or more runs in seven consecutive games since July 16-27, 2012 (12 straight games)...OKC has allowed a combined 16 walks over the last two games and matched their season high of eight walks three times in the last five games...The starting rotation has only covered 25.2 innings and has allowed 24 runs and 34 hits. Meanwhile, the bullpen has been forced to pick up the other 28.1 IP and has allowed 27 runs (25 ER), 37 hits and 21 walks (7.94 ERA, 2.05 WHIP)...Iowa's five-run fourth inning last night marked the fourth time in the last five games an opponent has had an inning of five or more runs. Last season the Dodgers didn't allow their first five-run inning until June 8. It was July 8 by the time they surrendered their fourth inning of five or more runs.
Around the Horn: Cameron Perkins entered Saturday's game as a pinch-hitter in the seventh inning and connected on his team-leading fifth double of the season. After beginning the season 1-for-12, Perkins is 10-for-28 (.357) with five doubles...Connor Joe is 5-for-11 at the plate over his first four games back with the Dodgers after clearing waivers last week as a Major League Rule 5 selection from San Francisco...The Dodgers were held to one run in Saturday's loss, marking the fourth time this season the Dodgers have scored one or no runs in a game. The team has now scored a league-low 67 runs this season and rank last with 11 homers. Each of the other 15 teams in the PCL has hit at least 16 homers.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2019
- Crawford Extends Streak, Curletta Goes Yard But Rainiers Drop Third-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Cats Power Past Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Late Sacramento Rally Sinks Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Jankins Leads Missions Staff in Shutout Effort - San Antonio Missions
- Beede shuts down Bees for River Catsâ?? third straight win - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Split Doubleheader on Easter - Nashville Sounds
- Snyder and Grizzlies outslug Aviators 9-8 Sunday afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sosa Wins It for Redbirds in 10th - Memphis Redbirds
- Nunez's Three-Homer Game Ignites Isotopes to Historic 23-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edged by Redbirds in 10th Inning Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Naylor, France Connect on Pair of Back-to-Back Shots to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso's Big Dogs Go Back-To-Back Two Times in Win over Aces - Reno Aces
- I-Cubs Win Third Straight at Bricktown - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Homer Way to 8-3 Win in OKC Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Blewett Fans 10, Chasers Fall 4-3 in New Orleans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Blanks Omaha 10-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cakes Offense Erupts as Beggs Blanks Omaha in Triple-A Debut - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (4-11) vs. San Antonio Missions (8-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (8-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-6) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies home run streak ends in 11-0 loss to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- Home run barrage lifts River Cats over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Crush Reno, 12-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Collects Four Hits But Rainiers Fall in Second-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Bats Remain Hot in 12-4 Win over Tacoma - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Lifeshare Winterfest and Snow Tubing Canceled
- Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Named Winner Of Ballpark Digest's Best Of The Ballparks Competition
- OKC Dodgers Announce Details Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Baseball Sesaon
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League Fall Season
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers