Blewett Fans 10, Chasers Fall 4-3 in New Orleans
Storm Chasers starter pitcher Scott Blewett struck out a 2019 team-best ten batters over six and two-thirds strong frames, however the New Orleans Baby Cakes were able to erase a three-run deficit to defeat Omaha 4-3 on Saturday night at the Shrine on Airline.
Blewett (6.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB, 10 K) posted the Storm Chasers rotation's first quality outing of the season, though he did not factor in the final decisions. His ten punchouts were the most by Blewett since fanning 12 on June 22, 2017 while with the Wilmington Blue Rocks.
Omaha broke through the scoreless draw in the fifth with a two-run frame. CF Erick Mejia brought home the first run with a successful safety squeeze bunt, while 2B Jecksson Flores later came plateward on a fielder's choice. One inning later, RF Jorge Bonifacio scored on a Baby Cakes error to make it a 3-0.
New Orleans narrowed the deficit to one in the last of the sixth courtesy of 2B Isan Diaz 's two-run double to right, before CF Monte Harrison mashed a game-tying solo shot to right in the seventh. The Baby Cakes would complete the comeback when SS Yadiel Rivera came across on a wild pitch.
Rivera (2-4) paced New Orleans hitters with his two knocks, while Omaha 1B Cheslor Cuthbert (2-4, 2B) clubbed two hits to extend his hit streak to 11. Storm Chasers SS Nicky Lopez failed to reach base in five plate appearances, snapping his nine-game hit streak and 13-game on-base streak.
Neither Blewett, nor New Orleans starter Elieser Hernandez (5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K) received decisions. Baby Cakes southpaw Dylan Lee (2.0 IP, 2 H, BB) earned the win, while Omaha reliever Michael Ynoa (0.2 IP, 2 H, R, ER, BB) suffered the loss.
The two teams are set to meet again on Sunday afternoon at 1:00pm CT. The Storm Chasers' starting pitcher has not been determined, while RHP Dustin Beggs (NR) is anticipated to start for New Orleans.
Following their seven-game road trip, Omaha returns to Werner Park on Wednesday, April 24. First pitch that evening versus the Memphis Redbirds is scheduled for 6:35pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2019
- Crawford Extends Streak, Curletta Goes Yard But Rainiers Drop Third-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Cats Power Past Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Late Sacramento Rally Sinks Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Jankins Leads Missions Staff in Shutout Effort - San Antonio Missions
- Beede shuts down Bees for River Catsâ?? third straight win - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Split Doubleheader on Easter - Nashville Sounds
- Snyder and Grizzlies outslug Aviators 9-8 Sunday afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sosa Wins It for Redbirds in 10th - Memphis Redbirds
- Nunez's Three-Homer Game Ignites Isotopes to Historic 23-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edged by Redbirds in 10th Inning Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Naylor, France Connect on Pair of Back-to-Back Shots to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso's Big Dogs Go Back-To-Back Two Times in Win over Aces - Reno Aces
- I-Cubs Win Third Straight at Bricktown - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Homer Way to 8-3 Win in OKC Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Blewett Fans 10, Chasers Fall 4-3 in New Orleans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Blanks Omaha 10-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cakes Offense Erupts as Beggs Blanks Omaha in Triple-A Debut - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (4-11) vs. San Antonio Missions (8-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (8-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-6) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies home run streak ends in 11-0 loss to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- Home run barrage lifts River Cats over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Crush Reno, 12-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Collects Four Hits But Rainiers Fall in Second-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Bats Remain Hot in 12-4 Win over Tacoma - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.