Crawford Extends Streak, Curletta Goes Yard But Rainiers Drop Third-Straight
Albuquerque, NM - Shortstop J.P. Crawford extended his hitting streak to 15 games and Joey Curletta touched off for his fourth home run of the season, but the Tacoma Rainiers dropped their third-straight contest to the Albuquerque Isotopes, 23-2.
The Rainiers (6-12) grabbed an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first thanks to an RBI single from third baseman Shed Long. The Isotopes (11-7) scored the game's next 18 tallies until Tacoma got their final run in the sixth on Curletta's round-tripper off a 0-0 pitch from Justin Lawrence.
Crawford singled in the seventh to push his streak to 15 games. After a 0-for-4 Opening Night, the former first round selection has gone 21-for-60 (.350), has improved his OBP to .411 and has scored 14 runs.
As a unit, Tacoma plated their two runs on eight hits, three of which went for extra bases, including one home run. The Rainiers also drew three free passes from Albuquerque pitchers.
The Rainiers turned to Tyler Danish (0-4) to start the game. The 24-year-old surrendered 11 runs in two-plus innings. Robinson Leyer was a bright spot out of the bullpen for the Rainiers, throwing two scoreless innings while holding Albuquerque hitless, walking none and striking out one. Tayler Scott (1 IP, 6 ER), Ryan Garton (2 IP, 1 ER) and Penn Murfee (1 IP, 5 ER) also logged time out of the pen for Tacoma.
The 21-run defeat is Tacoma's largest since at least 1999, surpassing a 16-run loss against Reno in 2009.
The Rainiers are back in action on Monday against Albuquerque at 10:05 AM PDT before returning to Cheney Stadium for a five-game tilt against the Sacramento River Cats.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers), or by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Joey Curletta of the Tacoma Rainiers takes a big swing
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2019
- Crawford Extends Streak, Curletta Goes Yard But Rainiers Drop Third-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Cats Power Past Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Late Sacramento Rally Sinks Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Jankins Leads Missions Staff in Shutout Effort - San Antonio Missions
- Beede shuts down Bees for River Catsâ?? third straight win - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Split Doubleheader on Easter - Nashville Sounds
- Snyder and Grizzlies outslug Aviators 9-8 Sunday afternoon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sosa Wins It for Redbirds in 10th - Memphis Redbirds
- Nunez's Three-Homer Game Ignites Isotopes to Historic 23-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Edged by Redbirds in 10th Inning Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Naylor, France Connect on Pair of Back-to-Back Shots to Power Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso's Big Dogs Go Back-To-Back Two Times in Win over Aces - Reno Aces
- I-Cubs Win Third Straight at Bricktown - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Homer Way to 8-3 Win in OKC Sunday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Blewett Fans 10, Chasers Fall 4-3 in New Orleans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- New Orleans Blanks Omaha 10-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cakes Offense Erupts as Beggs Blanks Omaha in Triple-A Debut - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (4-11) vs. San Antonio Missions (8-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (8-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-6) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies home run streak ends in 11-0 loss to Aviators - Fresno Grizzlies
- Home run barrage lifts River Cats over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Crush Reno, 12-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Collects Four Hits But Rainiers Fall in Second-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Bats Remain Hot in 12-4 Win over Tacoma - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno