Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5
Cincinnati, OH. - The K-Wings scored each of the last three goals on Saturday night, but it wasn't enough to dig out of an early hole as they fell 8-5 to the Cincinnati Cyclones.
Tanner Sorenson recorded his first professional hat trick in the defeat, extending his career-high point streak to seven-games. Reid Gardiner extended his league high point-streak to 14-games with a goal in the loss. Chris Collins notched his fifth straight multi-point game as well.
Cincinnati scored each of the first four goals getting two from both Jesse Schultz and Nate Mitton claiming a 4-0 lead heading into the final stages of the opening frame. Late in the period Tanner Sorenson netted his first of the night from Chris Collins, cutting the lead to 4-1 after the first.
Early in the second the K-Wing power play got on the board, cutting the lead to two. Reid Gardiner netted his 16th goal of the season, extending his league high-point streak to 14-games. After Gardiner's tally the Cyclones answered back with four consecutive goals swelling the lead to 8-2 late in the second period. With less than two minutes to go in the period Chris Collins intercepted a pass and stepped in from the blue line, putting a shot past Jonas Johansson to clip the lead to 8-3 after two.
In the third period Tanner Sorenson rounded out a hat trick scoring his sixth and seventh goals of the season, pulling the K-Wings within three. That would be as close as Kalamazoo got however, as the K-Wings fell 8-5.
Storm Phaneuf, making his K-Wing debut, stopped 18 of 26 shots in the loss, while Johansson stopped 14 of 19.
The K-Wings are back in action on Friday night as they host the Brampton Beast for the first home game of 2019.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Rocket to Powerful Victory on Nickelodeon Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Offensive Explosion Gives 'Blades 7-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Split Weekend Series with Rush, Fall 4-1 Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Explode for Eight in Throwback Weekend Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Fall to Stingrays, 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Come up Short During Third Period in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Salhany's Overtime Tally Gives Thunder 5-4 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Cools off Solar Bears for 20th Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Frustrations Continue in Greenville After 4-1 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Heavily Outshoots Florida But Falls to the Everblades 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Absorb 2-1 OT Loss at Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Tie Weekend Series with Newfoundland - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Throw It Back with a Win - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Win Third Straight with 2-1 Overtime Victory over Reading - Manchester Monarchs
- O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward James Phelan Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Joe Cannata Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Netminder Phaneuf Joins K-Wings in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melanson Return to Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Goalie Ben Halford Rejoins the Mavs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, January 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Three-Game Set Tonight vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Head to Cincinnati for Saturday Night Matchup - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Weekend Sweep at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Oilers Blank Americans 2-0 - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Knock off Thunder, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.