O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win
The Newfoundland Growlers returned to the win column Saturday night, melting the Jacksonville Icemen 5-1 in a chippy affair at Mile One Centre.
Zach O'Brien kicked things off just two minutes in taking a nice feed from Kristians Rubins and capitalizing on his breakaway for an early 1-0 Growlers lead. O'Brien's tally would hold up as the only goal in the opening frame. Eric Levine was perfect in his first 20 minutes between the pipes for the Growlers turning aside all nine shots faced.
Maxim Mizyurin extended the Growlers lead to 2-0 at 5:19 of the second period after taking a nice pass from Sam Babintsev for his first professional goal.
Maxime Fortier continued his hot weekend with 8:55 to play in the second period after cleaning up a big rebound making it a 2-1 game. Zach O'Brien restored the two-goal lead with 2:55 left in the period re-directing a Kristans Rubins point shot past Berdin for a 3-1 Growlers lead.
Zach O'Brien completed the hat trick with 10:11 left in the third period roofing it over Berdin's blocker giving the Growlers a commanding 4-1 lead.
Marcus Power hit the empty net with 31 seconds left on the clock to give the Growlers a 5-1 lead which held up as the final score.
Eric Levine made 28 saves in his Growlers debut between the pipes
Zach O'Brien recorded his second hat trick of the season
The three stars were 3 - K. Rubins (NFL), 2 - E. Levine (NFL), and 1 - Z. O'Brien (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their six-game homestand Tuesday with a matchup against the Maine Mariners, ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at mileonecentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Rocket to Powerful Victory on Nickelodeon Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Offensive Explosion Gives 'Blades 7-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Split Weekend Series with Rush, Fall 4-1 Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Explode for Eight in Throwback Weekend Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Fall to Stingrays, 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Come up Short During Third Period in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Salhany's Overtime Tally Gives Thunder 5-4 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Cools off Solar Bears for 20th Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Frustrations Continue in Greenville After 4-1 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Heavily Outshoots Florida But Falls to the Everblades 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Absorb 2-1 OT Loss at Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Tie Weekend Series with Newfoundland - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Throw It Back with a Win - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Win Third Straight with 2-1 Overtime Victory over Reading - Manchester Monarchs
- O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward James Phelan Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Joe Cannata Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Netminder Phaneuf Joins K-Wings in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melanson Return to Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Goalie Ben Halford Rejoins the Mavs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, January 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Three-Game Set Tonight vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Head to Cincinnati for Saturday Night Matchup - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Weekend Sweep at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Oilers Blank Americans 2-0 - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Knock off Thunder, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.