Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1
West Valley City, Utah - Kevin Carr stopped 30 of 31 shots and Tim McGauley scored a power play goal with 1:12 left in the second period to give the Utah Grizzlies a 2-1 lead that they wouldn't relinquish as they defeated the Wichita Thunder 3-1 at Maverik Center on Friday night.
The Grizzlies scored first as Mike Economos got a great pass from Ryan Misiak 6:49 into the contest. It was Mike's first goal in the ECHL. With that goal, hundreds of pairs of socks were thrown on the ice. Over a thousand pair of socks were donated as part of "Knock Your Socks Off, Presented by Ford."
Wichita tied up the game 1-1 as Jesse Gabrielle scored his 7th goal on a breakaway. Later in the first period Ryan Van Stralen gets called for a slashing minor with 1:28 left in the 2nd. 16 seconds later, Tim McGauley scored his 10th goal of the season to give Utah a 2-1 lead.
It stayed 2-1 until late in the third period as Jack Walker scores his 2nd of the season to put the game on ice.
Ryan Walters had 2 assists on the game for the Grizzlies, who take over first place in the division with 42 standings points. They take over first from the Idaho Steelheads.
The Grizzlies have won each of the first 2 games of the 3 in the series. The series finale is Saturday night at Maverik Center. 7 pm Mountain time. You can catch the game on ESPN 700/ECHL.TV.
3 stars of the game
1. Kevin Carr (Utah) - 30 for 31 saves.
2. Tim McGauley (Utah) - 2nd period GWG.
3. Ryan Walters (Utah) - 2 assists.
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies forward Jack Walker
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Rocket to Powerful Victory on Nickelodeon Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Offensive Explosion Gives 'Blades 7-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Split Weekend Series with Rush, Fall 4-1 Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Explode for Eight in Throwback Weekend Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Fall to Stingrays, 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Come up Short During Third Period in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Salhany's Overtime Tally Gives Thunder 5-4 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Cools off Solar Bears for 20th Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Frustrations Continue in Greenville After 4-1 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Heavily Outshoots Florida But Falls to the Everblades 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Absorb 2-1 OT Loss at Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Tie Weekend Series with Newfoundland - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Throw It Back with a Win - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Win Third Straight with 2-1 Overtime Victory over Reading - Manchester Monarchs
- O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward James Phelan Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Joe Cannata Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Netminder Phaneuf Joins K-Wings in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melanson Return to Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Goalie Ben Halford Rejoins the Mavs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, January 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Three-Game Set Tonight vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Head to Cincinnati for Saturday Night Matchup - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Weekend Sweep at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Oilers Blank Americans 2-0 - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Knock off Thunder, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.