Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers
TULSA, Okla. - The Idaho Steelheads (20-10-3) continued their recent run to five-straight wins thanks to a 4-2 victory over the Tulsa Oilers (17-12-6) on Saturday night from BOK Center.
The opening period stayed tame compared to the recent Steelheads games, but a fight between Steelheads defenseman Keegan Kanzig and Oilers forward Mike McKee set the stage less than four minutes into the game. The Steelheads found life first on the scoreboard at 14:43 of the first period when forward Kyle Schempp found defenseman Ondrej Vala in the left circle for his first professional goal, getting the road side to a 1-0 lead.
The Steelheads jumped out to a 2-0 lead early in the second period thanks to a power play tally by forward Reid Petryk on a rebound. However, the Oilers came back with two goals in less than one minute. At 8:48, Oilers forward Alex Globke answered and cut the lead in half, 2-1, and forward Adam Pleskach tipped a shot in the slot at 9:26 to draw the game level at 2-2.
A fortuitous bounce for the Steelheads lead to the go-ahead and deciding goal in the third period. At 13:37, Oilers netminder Devin Williams came out of his crease to play a puck that skipped to Petryk in the right circle for the open net, taking a 3-2 lead. Steelheads forward A.J. White helped ensure the win with an empty net goal at 19:58, sending the game to its 4-2 result.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (12-4-0) halted 44 of 46 shots in the win, while Williams (10-8-2) saved 26 of 29 shots in the loss. The Steelheads and Oilers finish their weekend on Sunday, Jan. 6 at 3:05 p.m. MT from BOK Center. Coverage begins at 2:45 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game series against the Toledo Walleye. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Rocket to Powerful Victory on Nickelodeon Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Offensive Explosion Gives 'Blades 7-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Split Weekend Series with Rush, Fall 4-1 Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Explode for Eight in Throwback Weekend Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Fall to Stingrays, 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Come up Short During Third Period in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Salhany's Overtime Tally Gives Thunder 5-4 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Cools off Solar Bears for 20th Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Frustrations Continue in Greenville After 4-1 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Heavily Outshoots Florida But Falls to the Everblades 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Absorb 2-1 OT Loss at Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Tie Weekend Series with Newfoundland - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Throw It Back with a Win - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Win Third Straight with 2-1 Overtime Victory over Reading - Manchester Monarchs
- O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward James Phelan Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Joe Cannata Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Netminder Phaneuf Joins K-Wings in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melanson Return to Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Goalie Ben Halford Rejoins the Mavs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, January 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Three-Game Set Tonight vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Head to Cincinnati for Saturday Night Matchup - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Weekend Sweep at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Oilers Blank Americans 2-0 - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Knock off Thunder, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Steelheads Host Preseason Meeting with Utah Grizzlies on October 5
- Forward Joe Basaraba Returns to Steelheads for 2019-20 Season
- Forward Conner Bleackley Joins Steelheads for 2019-20 Season
- Defenseman Brady Norrish Re-Joins Steelheads for 2019-20 Season