Mariners Throw It Back with a Win
PORTLAND, ME - After a rare poor performance on home ice on Friday, the Mariners bounced back to defeat the Brampton Beast 3-1 on Saturday night in front of 4,733 fans on "Throwback Night" at the Cross Insurance Arena. Sporting orange and black throwback jerseys paying tribute to the original Maine Mariners organization, the Mariners built a 3-0 lead and their netminder Brandon Halverson did the rest.
Just 1:25 into the game, Ty Ronning pounced on a rebound let go by Beast goalie Etienne Marcoux to extend his point streak to seven games and give the Mariners a 1-0 lead. Jason Salvaggio and John Furgele picked up assists on the goal. With the score still 1-0 early in the 2nd, Morgan Adams-Moisan redirected a Derek Pratt shot to double the lead at 1:09 of the middle frame. Halverson turned aside 23 shots through two periods to keep the Mariners in control.
At 5:47 of the third, Jason Salvaggio escaped on a 2 on 1 and beat Marcoux with a snipe to make it 3-0. Joe Kalisz and recent addition Dillan Fox picked up assists. On the power play at 14:09, Brampton pulled their goaltender and Jonathan Racine beat Halverson with a shot from the point to put the Beast on the board. That was as close as the Beast would come, as Halverson racked up 37 stops for his 13th win.
The Mariners opened up a six point gap in the standings with the Beast with their win and now embark on a Canada trip that takes them to Newfoundland on Tuesday and Wednesday and Brampton next Saturday and Sunday. The Mariners will return home on Wednesday, January 16th to host Newfoundland at 7:00 PM. It's Special Olympics night. Tickets to all home games can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com or by calling 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Rocket to Powerful Victory on Nickelodeon Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Offensive Explosion Gives 'Blades 7-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Split Weekend Series with Rush, Fall 4-1 Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Explode for Eight in Throwback Weekend Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Fall to Stingrays, 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Come up Short During Third Period in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Salhany's Overtime Tally Gives Thunder 5-4 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Cools off Solar Bears for 20th Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Frustrations Continue in Greenville After 4-1 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Heavily Outshoots Florida But Falls to the Everblades 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Absorb 2-1 OT Loss at Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Tie Weekend Series with Newfoundland - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Throw It Back with a Win - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Win Third Straight with 2-1 Overtime Victory over Reading - Manchester Monarchs
- O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward James Phelan Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Joe Cannata Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Netminder Phaneuf Joins K-Wings in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melanson Return to Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Goalie Ben Halford Rejoins the Mavs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, January 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Three-Game Set Tonight vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Head to Cincinnati for Saturday Night Matchup - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Weekend Sweep at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Oilers Blank Americans 2-0 - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Knock off Thunder, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.