Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads
TULSA, OK - A bad bounce off of the corner boards led to a late go-ahead goal as the Idaho Steelheads (20-10-3) knocked off the Tulsa Oilers (17-12-6) 4-2 Saturday at the BOK Center.
The first period saw few scoring chances from either side as both teams blocked several shots. The Steelheads jumped in front when Ondrej Vala sniped a shot past Devin Williams from the left circle. Idaho was unsuccessful on a single power play, while the Oilers went 0-for-2 on the man advantage.
Idaho made it 2-0 when Reid Petryk scooped up a rebound and snuck a shot into the Oilers net on his backhand for a power play tally. Tulsa started its comeback at 8:48 of the frame when Alex Globke slid a loose puck behind Tomas Sholl to put the Oilers on the board. 38 seconds later, Adam Pleskach deflected a shot from Adam Phillips into the Idaho net to tie the game at 2-2. The Oilers outshot the Steelheads 17-10 in the middle frame.
Petryk added his second goal of the game with 6:23 left in regulation to put Idaho ahead for good. The goal stemmed from a terrible carom for the Oilers on a Steelheads dump-in that bounced off of a piece of the corner boards back out in front. Petryk buried it into an open cage before Williams could scramble back into his crease. A.J. White added an empty net goal with two seconds left in the game. Sholl stopped 44 of 46 in the win.
Tulsa hosts Idaho against Sunday afternoon at 4:05pm on the York Plumbing Ice at the BOK Center. Fans can take part in a postgame skate with the Oilers players following the game.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Rocket to Powerful Victory on Nickelodeon Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Offensive Explosion Gives 'Blades 7-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Split Weekend Series with Rush, Fall 4-1 Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Explode for Eight in Throwback Weekend Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Fall to Stingrays, 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Come up Short During Third Period in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Salhany's Overtime Tally Gives Thunder 5-4 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Cools off Solar Bears for 20th Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Frustrations Continue in Greenville After 4-1 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Heavily Outshoots Florida But Falls to the Everblades 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Absorb 2-1 OT Loss at Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Tie Weekend Series with Newfoundland - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Throw It Back with a Win - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Win Third Straight with 2-1 Overtime Victory over Reading - Manchester Monarchs
- O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward James Phelan Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Joe Cannata Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Netminder Phaneuf Joins K-Wings in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melanson Return to Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Goalie Ben Halford Rejoins the Mavs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, January 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Three-Game Set Tonight vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Head to Cincinnati for Saturday Night Matchup - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Weekend Sweep at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Oilers Blank Americans 2-0 - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Knock off Thunder, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.