Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win
Some teams match up extremely well against others and own that team's number. Simply put, the Utah Grizzlies have the Wichita Thunder's. Following a three game sweep in Wichita in November, Utah exchanged blows with the visitors Saturday night at the Maverik Center. But despite Wichita's best effort to date against Utah, Grizzlie goalie Kevin Carr stood tall and when the final buzzer rang, the Grizzlies had defeated the Thunder yet again, this time to the tune of 3-1. It was Utah's fifth victory against the Thunder in as many contests.
"The guys played really well in front of me and kept most of the shots to the side which makes my job easier," Carr said. "We've got to bring that same effort tomorrow night. They're a good team and we respect them just like every team in this league and we're playing the right way which is why we're having success."
Although the Thunder controlled the puck and pace of play for the majority of the second period, each team manifested a goal. Utah's power play, until recently non-existent, has come to fruition the last few contests. Tim McGauley fired a one-timer past the outstretched arms of Stuart Skinner, who played much better than he did Friday night in which he was pulled in the third period. Carr was playing superb in net but he wasn't able to prevent a breakaway in the second period. Thunder forward Jesse Gabriella chased down a loose puck and fled down the ice, firing a rocket between Carr's pads.
Grizzlie forward Mike Economus is known for his enforcement and fighting on the ice but not for his goal scoring. However, the forward was able to notch his first in a Grizzlie uniform, garnering a 1-0 lead for the home team. And by the time Jack Walker buried an empty netter to complete the scoring, Wichita was left bowing its' collective heads yet again.
"At the end of the day we were able to keep them to the outside and clear rebounds," head coach Tim Branham said. "We have to bring a better effort Saturday but we found a way to get two points and good teams do that."
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies goaltender Kevin Carr
Utah Grizzlies battle the Wichita Thunder
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Rocket to Powerful Victory on Nickelodeon Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Offensive Explosion Gives 'Blades 7-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Split Weekend Series with Rush, Fall 4-1 Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Explode for Eight in Throwback Weekend Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Fall to Stingrays, 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Come up Short During Third Period in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Salhany's Overtime Tally Gives Thunder 5-4 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Cools off Solar Bears for 20th Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Frustrations Continue in Greenville After 4-1 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Heavily Outshoots Florida But Falls to the Everblades 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Absorb 2-1 OT Loss at Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Tie Weekend Series with Newfoundland - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Throw It Back with a Win - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Win Third Straight with 2-1 Overtime Victory over Reading - Manchester Monarchs
- O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward James Phelan Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Joe Cannata Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Netminder Phaneuf Joins K-Wings in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melanson Return to Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Goalie Ben Halford Rejoins the Mavs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, January 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Three-Game Set Tonight vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Head to Cincinnati for Saturday Night Matchup - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Weekend Sweep at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Oilers Blank Americans 2-0 - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Knock off Thunder, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.