Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades (22-7-5-0, 49 pts.) conclude a three-game series with the Atlanta Gladiators (8-18-5-1, 22 pts.) on Saturday night, aiming for a series victory against their South Division rival.
Game 35: Everblades vs. Atlanta
When: 7 p.m. ET
Where: Hertz Arena
Social: Twitter | #ATLvsFLA
Last Time Out
Nolan LaPorte and Luke Stork registered goals and Sean Bonar made 25 saves to give Atlanta a 2-1 win over the Everblades on Friday night at Hertz Arena. Florida's Blake Winiecki started the scoring in the second period with his ninth goal of the season off a feed from Justin Auger. Auger's assist extended his point streak to six games, which is tied for the longest point streak by a 'Blades player this season. Jamie Phillips made 15 saves and suffered his first home loss.
BOX SCORE | RECAP
Players to Watch
Blake Winiecki (FLA) - The Lakeville, Minnesota, native scored a goal for the third time in his last five games on Friday night to extend his point streak to a career-high five games. A rookie forward, Winiecki has three goals and three assists in his point streak and has recorded at least one point in seven of his last eight games.
Sean Bonar (ATL) - The fifth-year pro earned his third win of the season on Friday night and matched his season-low by yielding just one goal. Despite allowing two goals or fewer in six of his 13 appearances, Bonar has a record of just 3-2-0-1 in games where he has limited an opposing offense to less than three goals. A Princeton University product, Bonar has been a journeyman in the ECHL and has also played for Indy, Fort Wayne, Wichita, Brampton, and Orlando.
Saturday night is the sixth of 11 total meetings between Florida and Atlanta this season and the third of six matchups at Hertz Arena. In 162 previous all-time tilts with the Gladiators, the Everblades have posted a record of 95-52-15. Prior to Friday's setback, Florida had not lost to Atlanta in regulation in more than two years, with the most recent loss in regulation coming on Dec. 17, 2016.
When Florida has reached three goals in a game, success has followed. The 'Blades have yet to lose a game in regulation when they have found the back of the net three times, sporting a record of 22-0-4-0 in that scenario.
Florida has allowed less than three goals in four of its last five contests and has held its opponents to less than three tallies 20 times this year in 34 games. The 'Blades rank second in the ECHL in goals allowed per game (2.53).
No Shots for You
The 'Blades have been one of the best in the ECHL at limiting opposing offenses' scoring chances and equaled their season-best by holding Atlanta to only 17 shots on goal on Friday. Florida has allowed less than 20 shots on goal on three occasions this year and has given up 30 or more shots in just nine of its 34 games.
Answering the Bell
Atlanta held Florida to just one goal on Friday night, which is just the fifth time this season Florida has scored less than two goals. However, the 'Blades have had a strong response in the games immediately following a contest where they were limited to less than two tallies. Florida has averaged four goals per game in the game after the contest where it scored less than two times.
Jeremy Helvig, who is the likely starter in goal for Florida, has put together an impressive stretch recently. He has secured six straight wins and is unbeaten in nine consecutive games, both of which are the longest such streaks by a Florida goaltender this season.
Florida continues its stretch of back to back weekends at home with a three-game series against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday next week.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades forward Joe Cox (39) scraps with the Atlanta Gladiators
(Kevin Bires Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Rocket to Powerful Victory on Nickelodeon Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Offensive Explosion Gives 'Blades 7-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Split Weekend Series with Rush, Fall 4-1 Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Explode for Eight in Throwback Weekend Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Fall to Stingrays, 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Come up Short During Third Period in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Salhany's Overtime Tally Gives Thunder 5-4 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Cools off Solar Bears for 20th Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Frustrations Continue in Greenville After 4-1 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Heavily Outshoots Florida But Falls to the Everblades 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Absorb 2-1 OT Loss at Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Tie Weekend Series with Newfoundland - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Throw It Back with a Win - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Win Third Straight with 2-1 Overtime Victory over Reading - Manchester Monarchs
- O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward James Phelan Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Joe Cannata Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Netminder Phaneuf Joins K-Wings in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melanson Return to Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Goalie Ben Halford Rejoins the Mavs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, January 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Three-Game Set Tonight vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Head to Cincinnati for Saturday Night Matchup - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Weekend Sweep at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Oilers Blank Americans 2-0 - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Knock off Thunder, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Rapid Reaction: 'Blades Score Twice in 7-Second Span to Top Rush, 4-0
- 'Blades Weekly: Season's Only Trip West Set for this Weekend
- Return of McCarron, Sheppard Highlights String of Roster Moves
- 'Blades Forward Kyle Platzer Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout