Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo
TOLEDO, OH - The Wheeling Nailers had their most dominant performance of the season, and it came in front of a sellout crowd of 8,117 fans at Huntington Center in Downtown Toledo. Alex Rauter and Yushiroh Hirano both scored twice, Troy Josephs and Zac Lynch had four-point nights, and Cedric Lacroix picked up a Gordie Howe Hat Trick, as the Nailers blasted the Walleye, 8-2.
The Nailers got off to a flying start in the first period, turning on the red light three times. The first tally started with a pass from the end wall by Zac Lynch, who sent Alex Rauter and Troy Josephs away on a 2-on-1. Rauter passed to Josephs, who returned the feed, giving Rauter an open side of the cage. 1:32 later, the tandem of Rauter and Josephs struck again, with Rauter roofing a shot from the right side of the crease. Toledo got on the board 51 seconds after that with a rebound goal by TJ Hensick, but Wheeling quickly responded in a matter of 11 seconds, as Johnny Austin redirected a feed from Mark Petaccio.
The offense continued to dominate in the middle frame for the Nailers, who upped their lead to four. Troy Josephs intercepted the puck at the 12:46 mark, and blazed home a shot from the right face-off dot. Then, with one minute to go in the period, Yushiroh Hirano dented the twine with a slap shot from the top of the left circle, while Wheeling played with the man advantage.
More goals flew in during the third period, as the Nailers put a few more finishing touches on their one-sided victory. Renars Krastenbergs cashed in on a 2-on-1 break with Lynch at 1:43, Cedric Lacroix completed a Gordie Howe Hat Trick with a shorthanded strike at 8:18, and Hirano tallied his second of the contest on the man advantage at 10:11 for the 8-2 final.
John Muse made a lot of big saves in the game, and finished with 29 in the winning effort for Wheeling. Kaden Fulcher was the losing goaltender, as he got torched for five goals on 17 shots, before giving way to Pat Nagle, who was bested three times on nine shots.
The Nailers return home for three games next weekend, as the Utah Grizzlies come to town on Friday at 7:05, followed by the Indy Fuel on Saturday at 7:05 and Sunday at 3:05. Friday's game is a Frosty Friday, Saturday is Nickelodeon Night Featuring SpongeBob & Patrick, and Sunday is a Family Funday, which includes a Post Game Skate with the Team (odd-numbered players). Thanks to WTRF-7, Family Four Packs are available for Nickelodeon Night - fans can get four tickets, four hats, and four McDonald's Meal Vouchers for $60. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Rocket to Powerful Victory on Nickelodeon Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Sorenson Nets Hat Trick as K-Wings Fall 8-5 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Offensive Explosion Gives 'Blades 7-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Split Weekend Series with Rush, Fall 4-1 Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Explode for Eight in Throwback Weekend Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Fall to Stingrays, 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Come up Short During Third Period in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Move Win Streak to Five in 4-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fluky Bounce Does Oilers in against Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Salhany's Overtime Tally Gives Thunder 5-4 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers Steal the Throne in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Cools off Solar Bears for 20th Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Frustrations Continue in Greenville After 4-1 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- GAME RECAP: Atlanta Heavily Outshoots Florida But Falls to the Everblades 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Absorb 2-1 OT Loss at Manchester - Reading Royals
- IceMen Tie Weekend Series with Newfoundland - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Throw It Back with a Win - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Win Third Straight with 2-1 Overtime Victory over Reading - Manchester Monarchs
- O'Brien Notches Hat Trick in 5-1 Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward James Phelan Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Joe Cannata Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Netminder Phaneuf Joins K-Wings in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melanson Return to Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Goalie Ben Halford Rejoins the Mavs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Everblades Host Gladiators to Wrap up Three-Game Series - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, January 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Three-Game Set Tonight vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Wings Head to Cincinnati for Saturday Night Matchup - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Eyes Weekend Sweep at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Oilers Blank Americans 2-0 - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Defeat the Thunder 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Knock off Thunder, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.