Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes
WEST SACRAMENTO, CA - In another one-run game, the Sacramento River Cats (54-81) came out on top, taking down the Albuquerque Isotopes (61-74) 2-1 after a pair of late-inning runs.
Sacramento starter Tyler Herb struck out seven batters and allowed just one run on four hits in a dominating start. The right-hander tossed a season-high seven innings and worked extremely quickly in what was the River Cats' shortest game of the season at two hours and nine minutes.
The River Cats would tie things at one when Peter Bourjos smacked an RBI single to right in the sixth inning. Chris Shaw would later give Sacramento the lead with a monster solo home run to center field in the seventh which would prove to be the winning run as the River Cats would go on to close out a 2-1 victory.
In the final home game of the season the River Cats will send right-hander Shaun Anderson (2-2, 3.61) to the hill. The Isotopes will counter with fellow righty Jeff Hoffman (6-8, 4.69). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on the air on Money 105.FM.
- Shaw's mammoth home run to right-center field traveled 458 feet and is the third-longest home run hit by a River Cats batter at Raley Field. Shaw has hit two of the top three farthest homers hit, with the longest coming from Chase d'Arnaud (464 feet).
- With a pinch-hit double in the eighth inning, Brock Stassi has now reached base safely in all 16 games that he has played for the River Cats.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the 2018 season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). For more information about the River Cats, visit www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Sky Sox Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Walk off Sounds in 10 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Walk off on Sounds in Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Centeno Leads Express to 9-3 Win over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Drop Series Finale to Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Return Friday for Final Home Series as Division Champions Playoffs Begin Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (70-65) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (67-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Leave Iowa with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Groundskeeper Nick Rozdilski Receives Presidential Commendation - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Misses Opportunity in Loss to Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- The Howard Hughes Corporation to Install 4Topps Superior Comfort Seating at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony August 31 - Reno Aces
- Ballpark Digest Names Doug Scopel as Minor League Baseball Executive of the Year - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (81-54) at Round Rock Express (62-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds' Hudson Awarded Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Hudson Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Memphis Redbirds
- Express' Al Sandoval Named Strength Coach of the Year - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 30, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Grizzlies set PCL strikeout record in 6-3 loss to Chihuahuas - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Record 80th Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Offense Reemerges But Rainiers Fall to 51s, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Thaiss Walks-Off in the 10th, Bees Win 4-3 - Salt Lake Bees
- Shaw's 24th long ball lifts River Cats over 'Topes - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Fall in Extra Innings Despite Clarke's Gem - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fall 2-1 to River Cats for Second-Straight Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Drop Duo of Heartbreakers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Allow Trio of Homers in 8-4 Loss to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Sacramento River Cats 2019 End of Season Notes
- River Cats finish 2019 season as Triple-A National Champions
- River Cats sweep Express to capture PCL Championship
- Adames lifts River Cats over Express in game two
- Avelino provides walk-off as River Cats take Game 1